Edweird's Suzuki 410

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: Edweird's Suzuki 410

Post by Edweird » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:35 pm

Are we not supposed to mention it?
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:48 am

:gag: shhhhhh

muddy kev
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by muddy kev » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:04 pm

hi, if your wiring core has oxidised just bare the insulation off to expose enough to join or put terminal on, then simply scrape the wire strands with a stanley blade to remove the oxidisation. then u can solder it. if u crimp or use choc block on oxidised wires u will end up with a very bad joint/connection.

cheers kev.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:39 pm

Am i rite to believe u dnt really intend to off road this jem? It looks like a spot on little project to get started. Just bn looking at the fotos and its a tidy example. My sj was in similar condition when i got that. That was 10 year ago mind.

Have you been "tinkering" with motors for long? Or is this the first proj?

Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:58 pm

Yeah, that right Jordi. This is a 'roadie'. Obviously, in winter I might tow people up hills or something, but I'm not going playing in the mud. I want to get it done up to a good condition so I can take it to car shows. I've got my Stepdad, a long time 4x4 owner who's had an SJ many moons ago, along with more Land Rovers than I've had hot dinners and my Dad also has a couple of old (pre-classic he calls them) Vauxhall Belmonts that he's worked on and looked after, so lots of help. I look forward to having my 26 year old Jap-o-wagon next to Dad '89 and '92 Belmonts. Peeing on his parade much? :twisted:

As for tinkering, this is MY first project, but I've been around cars my whole life, so I know them better than most, but I've still got a lot to learn. I could do most things with clear instructions or someone pointing and explaining, if you know what I mean, but by myself I wouldn't be confident enough to change a head gasket or something so close to vital parts. I'm also not very experienced with a welder, so I'd want some education before I started patching the wings and around the fuel filler.

I need to get a Haynes manual. :lol:

The right way,
The wrong way

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:12 pm

Haynes manuals a must. As for welding. Mine is iffy. It holds but wont win any beauty contests. As u may hav seen in the fotos. Its all about practice.

Presuming im home for the weekend im gona knock up a rear bumper and a frame for my stack exhaust to clamp to. Its all about the practice.

Ive dun stuff recently that i wud never hav dun b4 but its going ok. Just wish i had more time.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:04 pm

Im only a bit older than you, but have been round tractors and cars all my life.

Its all one big learning curve, i am all self taught, and have done loads and loads to my sj.

Would have been done a dam sight sooner if i didnt have to do it about 5 times to get it right, and there still more to change!

Keep up the good work fella, im sure you will get the mud bug soon! :twisted:

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:35 pm

I think for those of us who are modifying its not too bad as we make bits to suit. From bumper brackets to body panels.

Luckily for ed hes got a fairly sound body. Ive tried getting body parts and its near impossible.

It will be nice to see one being restored for a change as both of mine are well past resoration. Unless i happen to stumble across two new body shells.

Self taught especially on sj's is the way to be. They're so simple to work on and where i learnt a lot.

Now i've accumulated 11 years of suplus bits it may be time for an ebay auction too.

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:52 pm

Thanks for all the advice and encouragment people. :mrgreen:

My Haynes manual arrived today, so I'll give that a look through some time soon. Does it have anything on repairing holes in floors, wheelarches and door bottoms? :lol:

The right way,
The wrong way

Russ24
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Russ24 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:57 pm

thats tidy.

i likey.

- white cars, keeping it cool since the early 80's
:russ: