Could a Freelander TD4 pull a trailer plus SJ413??

Anything Suzuki related, but not technical, it goes here!
slaterfett
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Could a Freelander TD4 pull a trailer plus SJ413??

Post by slaterfett » Sat May 11, 2013 4:39 pm

Hi folks. I looking to bid on another SJ on Ebay, Due to it not having any tax or MOT i will have to tow it back.

We have a 2002 Freelander auto TD4 in the family and was wondering if it would be ok to pull a trailer with the SJ on it?

Cheers folks
I'm a stinking thief don't buy parts off me!

OllieSJ

Re: Could a Freelander TD4 pull a trailer plus SJ413??

Post by OllieSJ » Sat May 11, 2013 4:45 pm

Nope but the suzuki would easily do it. And yes it would just if its the one that has a caravan trailer then it would be abit sketchy
Sj410Q- Spacers, Bucket seats, Su carb , Mot and Tax

dazerede
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by dazerede » Sat May 11, 2013 5:12 pm

Ye no probs

My dad has a 200tdi disco and it pulled my sj on a trailer easy sj is only like 1 ton

Plus my dads disco clutch is nearly had it
Going up hill with just me and my dad and u can feal/hear the clutch slipping

Funniest part is he bought a new clutch for it like 1 year ago but still hasn't fitted it still in its packaging :)
Suzuki Sj 410 Jap Built
Recaro Seats Fitted
Landini Blue Colour
Full rollcage and winch bumper
1.6 8v vitara lump with su carb
4” calmini lift kit :)
235/75/15 insa turbo special tracks
99.9% Rust Free
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here

Post by turbo-tom » Sat May 11, 2013 5:21 pm

Yes TD4 CAN pull a trailer and a sj413 on it easy!!! my sj goes on the back of my trailer and okay im pulling it with a v8 but you forget its on the back!
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

Anton

Post by Anton » Sat May 11, 2013 5:27 pm

I've pulled an SJ on a braked trailer that weighed almost as much as the SJ, and did the pulling with a Toyota Yaris 1.4TD.

It wasn't until it started fishtailing that I really thought about how momentously stupid what I was doing really was - pulling around 1500kg with a 950kg car...

The arse of the yaris was being pulled left and right by the weight of the fishtailing trailer.

140ish ft/lb of torque - it pulled just lovely, but power isn't the main problem with towing.

The answer to your question is - yes, it'll probably pull it, but if I were you I'd weigh the trailer and if if it's more than 290kg, don't do it. An SJ is about 850kg, and you want to say under 80% of your tow vehicle's weight, so whilst your Freelander will officially pull 2000kg pulling more than 1140 is probably unsafe. More than 1425 (your kerb weight) is illegal unless your licence is *really* old (pre trailer laws) or you've passed the trailer exam, in which case you wouldn't have to ask in the first place - so I'll assume you haven't.

Also, if it's not a braked trailer, forget it. 750kg is the legal max for unbraked (trailer and contents).

And in this case, it's the plated weight that counts if the vehicle has been stripped or lightened in any way, but the weighbridge weight if it's heavier than the plated weight.

So you can't legally pull it with an A-frame either, other than as a recovery exercise to move it from somewhere unsafe to somewhere safe (i.e. you can use an A-frame to move it off a motorway into a service station car park or somewhere like that if you've broken down, but that's all).
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat May 11, 2013 5:58 pm

Depends on towing capacity of the freelander, trailer weight and what licence the driver holds and when they passed their test.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat May 11, 2013 6:00 pm

This goes into a lot of detail about weights and licenses but refers to an SJ towing an SJ.

http://forum.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/vi ... wing+an+sj
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Sat May 11, 2013 6:13 pm

It's all ok if you passed your test before 1997

Need to take a b + e trailer test if not :)

Mike

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat May 11, 2013 6:20 pm

mike harris wrote:It's all ok if you passed your test before 1997

Need to take a b + e trailer test if not :)

Mike
Even then you can only run at 3.5t maximum train weight, regardless of the towing capactity of the vehicle as of Jan 2013.

Anton

Post by Anton » Sat May 11, 2013 6:22 pm

Mike/Jordi - you don't need a B + E test unless you want to tow a combined trailer and tow vehicle weight of more than 3.5 tons (maximum authorised mass, or "MAM"):

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/driv ... ou-can-tow

You only need a B + E if you want to tow a trailer up to 3.5 tons (total MAM of more than 3.5 tons, less than 7 tons).

Edit - all this talk of "B&E" just makes me think of burglary...
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map