Pro Comp Shocks

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
charger
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Pro Comp Shocks

Post by charger » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:08 am

The stock shocks are 12" Retracted & 17" 3/4 Extended what would be the outcome of using slightly longer shocks, I have been offered a bargain which is in Keeping with my £500 SJ & cheap lift. Road manners are no issue I live 2 miles from a pay & play site& there is another one about 10 miles away.
1991 Samurai
Rough Country Lift/Shocks
Cherry Bomb Exhaust
Bronco Diamond Back 215/15
Llama Brake Hose

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:36 am

Cool they should be ok then as long as you lower the bumpstops 2" to stop them bottoming out.

I still would advise going for a softer shock though, ES9000s are designed for vehicles that are twice the weight of an SJ, what about Astra shocks? They are cheap and nowhere near as stiff.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

charger
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by charger » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:46 pm

Any Particular Astra do do you have a link for any

mk2 1990, they do oil or gas, I run the gas ones.They pretty much bolt straight onto the front but you either need to modify the top mounts for the rear or make an adapter using some angle. I still have my old adapter bar and you can have it for the cost of postage if you decide to go down that route? Oh and you need to remove the stock lower bush and file the eye out a little bit and then use stock SJ bushes.
1991 Samurai
Cherry Bomb Exhaust
Llama Brake Hose

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:05 pm

They are 1990 (G) Vauxhall astra shocks, I think they do two types oil or Gas, I run the Gas ones.

The unipart number is GSA20180 however I'm not sure if that is for the gas or oil ones? (dont 100% quote me on that I got the info from someone else)

They bolt straight on to the front of an sj as they have Pin mounts at the top and eyes at the bottom but for the rear you either need to make an adapter bar using a bit of angle, you also need to remove the original bushes and file out the lip that is left over and use the original SJ bushes.

or you can go Redneck like I have done now and cut the pins off and weld some eyes on, this gives you more up travel because you can use the original mounts

Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

charger
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by charger » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:51 am

Thanks I'll look into that
1991 Samurai
Cherry Bomb Exhaust