joe's restoration!

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
mayhemmiller
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: joe's restoration!

Post by mayhemmiller » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:29 pm

it's looking good so far

with painting spraying will give the best finish but you can also get a great finish with a roller just remember with painting though preparation is the key
awaiting the next adventure
it's when it stop's leaking oil you need to worry as it's all gone

:mayhemmiller:

mk1joe
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by mk1joe » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:16 pm

thanks for the tip, preperation will probably take me a while as its already been painted with a brush, so sanding it smooth will probably take longer than it should. i will probably buy a random action sander, will that be any good?

also i could do with an O/S roll bar pillar.
thankyou

mk1joe
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by mk1joe » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:39 pm

i know wings are very rare but its one part i cant do without unfortunately, ive managed to rebuild the rears but i dont think thats an option with the osf because it is too far gone and take faar to much time... i know that to some extent they can be unbolted so what is my best option?

i need to get the whole thing painted really soon so it needs to be a quick repair.
thanks
joe

Lil_Beastie
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Lil_Beastie » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:17 pm

3 options i guess.
1 - find someone who can do it for you.
2 - take your time and do it yourself as its all a learning curve.
2 - google http://www.weiss-design.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and translate it. They do respond via email, ship to Britain and I think are a responable price.

mk1joe
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by mk1joe » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:29 pm

option 3 is awsome! do you have to do any cutting to get a wing off or will it just unbolt?

Lil_Beastie
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Lil_Beastie » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:08 pm

:hahaha:

Depends on how rusted on bolts are. So really shouldnt be cutting, more drilling bolts out.

mk1joe
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by mk1joe » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:45 pm

fantastic, my new "rustless" wing is here and there is fairly small amount of rust, but theres something else i didnt concider.

had it been attacked it with a grinder?

unncessary! :thumbdown:

Rjmaas512
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Rjmaas512 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:42 pm

Nice job with the welding there.

I thought my wheel arches were bad! How wrong I was. I luckily did not have to cut mine out and start from scratch.

My sills on the other hand were interesting, along with the boot floor and various other sections of the car.

Did have to do the section that rotted through near the rear bumper on the passenger side same as yours.

Friend of mine who welded his land-rover back together is very kindly welding mine. Almost finished now which is good :). He keeps moaning about how thin it is, and I can see why. Just need to get the welding done so i can carry on with the rest of the project so he can make some proper money doing various welding jobs for other people.

Rob

mk1joe
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by mk1joe » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:59 pm

yep, de-rusting is a horrible process when there is lots of it to do, cant wait for mine to be over. not so bad when it is right in front of but when you have to squeeze upside down into a wheel arch it starts to get horrible! on the positive i have just about managed to fit my new wing.
theres a pakistan forum that i find myself looking at more and more, what they can acheive with sheet metal is amazing, just sitting in the sand with a hammer and blow torch they can reproduce complete panels very acuretaly!
http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/d-i-y-p ... ni-minor-7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the forum are also very fond of the lwb-410, i think there are a few projects on there wich are really cool.

mk1joe
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by mk1joe » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:54 am

sorted out my sound system today, mk2 golf panasonic radio linked with some pioneere speakers that came with the car. ive managed to hardwire the stereo to play ipod and it sounds quality!
the radio cost £5 from the scrapyard and the hardwireing gear only £2.50, altogether very cheap and just as good as a modorn player.
verry happy :doublethumbs:
now just to make it all one colour