joe's restoration!

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
mk1joe
Winching along now
Winching along now

Re: joe's restoration!

Post by mk1joe » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:56 pm

thanks for the welding tips, thats just the sort of information im looking for. i do want to keep it semi standard so i guess the best way to make a replacement panel is to weld in lots of smaller peices to make it bend round easy, i cant really think of any other way of doing it.
thanks
joe

mk1joe
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by mk1joe » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:37 pm

i did my first bit of welding today, i knocked up a repair pannel and just tacked it in for now, the some of the tack welds came out really well but the welder was on a very high setting,it actualy blew a fuse in the house but when on a lower setting the welds didnt come out as well. the pannel i made was also a bit bumpy but probably wont see it much
im not woried about finishing the welding on the outside but its going to be a bit tricky when it comes to attatch it to the inner arch because it dosent quite match up. heres some progress pics though.

thanks for following my progress
joe

Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Edweird » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:27 pm

You've shaped that nicely. It'll look great when it's done if that's how you're going about it.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

4eye
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by 4eye » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:26 pm

that looks fine .....you'll have no problem, cutting the panel to good and making pieces to fit is the hardest part,and you've shown your more than capable with that! :smokin:

if you havnt found already...a damp cloth will come in handy.....little fires tend to sprout from time to time(it did when i did mine :lol: :P :lol:), give it a dab...and off you go again :mrgreen:
ITS NOT LEAKING OIL...........SHE'S MARKIN HER TERRITORY!!!!!!!!

my ride.........:4eye:

+2 lift....grizzley boots is all i need!

mk1joe
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by mk1joe » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:25 pm

hello again scuk, ive been trying to soldier on with the welding, but i was just wondering (as i do) about the flange that was in the wheel arch, it stuck down at a 45o angle, as far as i can see all it did was collect mud and rust away but maby it had a reason for being there? is it importiant that i replace it?

you can see part of it here

and i was looking through some other zook sites and found this one, they have hundreds of pictures from all over the web including scuk and even mine,
http://suzukijeep.blogspot.com/2011/03/its-laundry.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
i dont get the title though?

and as for the terrible disaster hapening in japan, thank god the sj floats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X43T-nMzDpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

xiztrn
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by xiztrn » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:34 am

Doing a good job there :D

mk1joe
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by mk1joe » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:30 pm

my learning curve is turning into a mega mission, (for me anyway).
i ran out of gass for the welder so tried gasless but i didnt get on with it, i dont know how anyone else finds it for automotive work? im finding welding in genral very tricky.

finished patching most of the side pannel and ground it back to wheel arch shape

but now i have to bridge the gap which seems about 1000times as hard, making the metal the right shape is imposibble and im not to sure about welding on the corner :bawling:

still not sure that everything is going to match up in the end but i guess thats what learning is all about.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:32 am

:yuk: gasless, I would rather wait until I can afford some gas rather than go gasless.

Your doing a top job there for someone learning to weld, even some experienced welders hate doing sj bodywork as its so thin.

If you get some cereal packet you should be able to make up a template to copy for that gap, tack one end up, bend it into shape, tack the next bit, bend it up again etc.

if you can't get to the inside edge, its not to bad welding on the outside edge, you just need to grind it back to tidy it up so.make sure you have some flap discs ready.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

mk1joe
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by mk1joe » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:58 am

hi,
finishing off my arches finaly, hopefully move on to painting soon.

ive seen a few good paint jobs on here, i guess rollering gives the best finish? il hopefully get it to an MOTable stage within a few months.
im having trouble finding a new O/S/F outer wing as i think replacing will be quicker/easier than repairing.
thanks
joe

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:55 am

Wow! That rear arch looks great Joe! Nice job!
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.