Newbie from Bristol.

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
Beardy89
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Newbie from Bristol.

Post by Beardy89 » Mon May 11, 2015 2:57 pm

Also where is the best online shop for buying bits for SJ's?

Ebay doesn't seem to be that full of spares and suspensions parts etc.

RickUK
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Location: Not sure me Tom Tom is bust,but it could be North of Watford Gap.Could be Bedfordshire though.

Post by RickUK » Mon May 11, 2015 3:03 pm

Just get yourself a good old Vitara LWB and enjoy it it,trouble free and dirt cheap to run,all these folks that suggest a SJ are totally wrong,while the others are repairing them and welding them all up i am enjoying myself driving it around :hahaha:
Deceased.
SJ413 tinwormed to the great car grave yard in the sky.
Vitara LWB V6 engine deceased and also in the great grave yard in the sky.
www.hideones.info www.hideones.info
Current wheels.
BMW X5 Le Mans 3.0turbo diesel.
Looking for a newish Suzuki Jimny.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon May 11, 2015 3:46 pm

RickUK wrote:Just get yourself a good old Vitara LWB and enjoy it it,trouble free and dirt cheap to run,all these folks that suggest a SJ are totally wrong,while the others are repairing them and welding them all up i am enjoying myself driving it around :hahaha:
I drive my SJ daily and it rarely has issues. I've done over 900miles of on and off road driving in the last 2 weeks hassle free.

kermes on here managed to break a front driveshaft at MGW driving over a few wood sleepers :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon May 11, 2015 3:55 pm

Beardy89 wrote:Also where is the best online shop for buying bits for SJ's?

Ebay doesn't seem to be that full of spares and suspensions parts etc.
Llama 4x4 sells good springs, rockwatt eng/R.A.M. auto design makes a few custom parts including rocklobster transfer boxes and guards etc.

A simple sj with 31" tyres, 2" of lift (in the springs don't waste your time with longer shackles) and a rocklobster transferbox to drop the gearing will go anywhere a land rover on 33s will.

SPOA is one of those old mods that is an easy way to add too much lift :lol: problem is 90% of the SPOA conversions around are done really badly and destroy the handling. To do an SPOA conversion it's cheap and easy.....to do one well that you can still drive down a country road at 50+mph is expensive!

Have a read through some build threads and the stickied threads for some ideas and inspiration.

There's no 'right way' to build an SJ but there are plenty of mods out there that then need additional mods to then make them work well and be reliable, the cost can soon spiral more than you expect.

Keep it simple and low and you'll have the most fun.

You are welcome to come over and have a drive in my SJ if you want :thumbup:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Beardy89
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Beardy89 » Mon May 11, 2015 4:04 pm

Cheers Scottie, that's some spot on advice!!

I think ill keep my eyes out for a tidy rust free standard SJ and mod it my self to my taste and the good advice on here, at least that way I know what standard the workmanship is!

I might take you up on the Drive of your SJ if I don't get one soon enough!

wikusvandemerwe
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by wikusvandemerwe » Mon May 11, 2015 6:27 pm

Agree with the lads in the direction to go but personally I'd budget for installing a diesel lump...

Oh and also I had a mate with a little SWB vit which was pretty darn impressive in stock format + muddies!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon May 11, 2015 7:26 pm

I've recently bought a load of stuff from lowrangeoffroad in the US. Even after shipping and import duty the prices are fair.

Llama 4x4 do some good stuff.

Had a few things off Rockwatt too.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon May 11, 2015 11:21 pm

I'm not a fan of derv conversions, the only benefit is how waterproof they are but if you go deep enough to need one the engine is the least of your worries.

Problem is the lighter ones aren't very powerful and the ones with power are twice as heavy as a vitara engine.

It's personal preference but I haven't driven a derv conversion that I would fit myself yet.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!