Newbie from Bristol.

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
Beardy89
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Newbie from Bristol.

Post by Beardy89 » Sun May 10, 2015 9:03 pm

Hey Guys.

I am currently a Green Oval man having had 5 landrovers however I am tempted to join the Suzuki club.

I would have about £1000 to spend, would be looking for something to replace my highly modded Defender but that could still go where it went. What do I need to look for? SJ or Vit? What are the common faults etc to look for when buying.

Any help appreciated and looking forward to not welding my Defender back together every other weekend.

Cheers Beardy

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Newbie from Bristol.

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon May 11, 2015 12:32 am

Welcome.

I wouldn't put that welder away too quickly. :D

SJs are the proper offroader. Vitaras suffer with weak front diff's/shafts and are also IFS which causes issues with lift.

SJs tend to rot in the body's but the chassis will nearly always be solid.

What do you want to use if for? PnP?Daily drive and greenlaner?
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Mon May 11, 2015 1:38 am

Glad you have seen the light. SJ is the way to go. Vits are very capable but cost more to modify. But the best of the bunch is an LJ. A grand should find you a nice SJ.
If it ticks over...leave it

Ju
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Ju » Mon May 11, 2015 8:43 am

I would check that the chassis number is the same as the one on the V5

Beardy89
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Beardy89 » Mon May 11, 2015 9:09 am

HI all,

Thanks for the replies!

It will be 95% offroad, greenlane mainly but a few PnP.

Most people have said the same thing, I.e SJ over Vit.

I am not sure what an LJ is?

I am not worried about small amounts of body welding! but I have had enough of spending weekend after weekend patching up landrover chassis's

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Mon May 11, 2015 12:48 pm

:welcome: to :suzuki: Club UK

Nice to see you have seen the light.

SJ from me too. May need some body repair initially, but the chassis will be sound.
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Beardy89
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Beardy89 » Mon May 11, 2015 1:04 pm

Looks like an SJ it is then. Just got to find one that meets the needs for the right price.

I am trying to get to grips with the mods needed to make it as capable as my Defender.

I am thinking I need at least 31" tyres and therefore some kind of lift...
I am reading alot of negativity about SPOA and it looks like a Reverse Shackle Kit might be the best option, to give me room for the 31's but also giving me enough Flex

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon May 11, 2015 1:08 pm

LJs are the model before the SJ. Pretty rare these days and if most of us got our hands on a good un' we polish and garage it.

SJ for an off roader. Solid motors, easy to work on and modify. Reliable drive trains. The body normally needs a bit of TLC but they are easy enough to repair.

As for fitting 31s just virtual lifts it (cut the arches and a bit if bulkhead out) and they will fit on standard suspension.

If you're wanting more flex rear springs up front and lifted SJ springs or YJs on the back. Also gives a couple of inches of lift.

All depends what mods your defender had?
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon May 11, 2015 1:52 pm

Buy an SJ :doublethumbs:

Shackle reverse does nothing for flex and actually limits the size tyres you can run as the wheel moves towards the bulkhead during compression instead of away from it as it does with shackles in the front. You wont fit 31" tyres with a 2" shackle reverse kit but you can just about squeeze them on with just 2" lift springs. best option is some decent lift springs in the rear and then to do a rear springs up front conversion (RUF). If you do a virtual lift you can fit 33" tyres with no suspension lift, keep it as low and as stable as possible.

As Jordi says what mods did the defender have? it's not that hard to build a Landy beating SJ on a small budget.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Beardy89
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Beardy89 » Mon May 11, 2015 2:49 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice.
The defender was +2" lift, sat on 33x12.5R15 BFG MTs.
Standard running gear, no lockers.

Whats needed to do a RUF conversion. Obviously I can use the rear springs off of the SJ and then replace them with some +2" Springs. Move the Rear springs to the front, is there any cutting a welding of mounting brackets?

Lots of the SJs I see for sale of SPOA but everything I've read has been bad news, why do some many people go down that route? Just because it is the cheapest option?