Snapped rear spring - options

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
JayBM
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Snapped rear spring - options

Post by JayBM » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi folks,

So after running the SJ around the fields helping with some fencing, I heard an intermittent rubbing and scrapping sound. After a slow crawl back home identified the issue as 2 snapped leafs on the drivers side rear.

Pain in the arse but trying to see it as an opportunity. At present it's running a 2" lift via shackles. Having read through a number of topics I can see this is not the recommended approach for lifting, not least because of additional stress it puts on the springs (hmm, sounds familiar).

So the goal is to get it back on the road, keeping the 2" lift but getting rid of the shackles.

I've read through a number of posts and if I'm honest I'm slightly confused as to which way to go.

I think I'm right in saying that RUF/rascal rears would give me the 2" lift? Is there any need to replace the shocks for some extended items? Would it be sensible to replace all the bushes at the same time?

As another option is there a 3rd party that offers a complete 2" lift kit (springs/shocks etc) that gives the added lift with an acceptable ride (I've read the Calmini kits gives a very hard ride).

Apologies for the short essay and thanks in advance for the help.

James

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Snapped rear spring - options

Post by dan_2k_uk » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:19 pm

The best thing you can do is bin those shackles. A 2" shackle only gives a 1" lift anyway.

Any spring lift will require extended shocks and brake lines.

The only real 'Soft' aftermarket lift is to go standard YJ springs. (Rather expensive with all the other factors)

Most of the aftermarket setups are rather hard.

You are correct about the Rascal rear/RUF. Again not the softest but will give good flex and is the best of the cheaper options.

Add a leafs are hard IMO but different people will give different opinions of that and their ability to ruin tired springs.

Despite being ridiculously had my Ironmans do work quite well and makes it drive like a go-kart on the road. I manage to put up with them but they are soon to be replaced with YJ's after only 3000 miles of use which I suppose speaks volumes in terms of how tolerable they are.

Some of the aftermarket jobs reportedly perform a lot better with a leaf removed but I have never gotten round to doing that.

If you can weld have you considered a virtual lift?
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

windsor
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by windsor » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:37 pm

I belive montain goat do the calmin full lift kit but thats around the 800quid mark or the lads down a llama do lifted springs and extended shocks and ad stick some polybushes in wile your at it am running a ruf and rascle witch is alot softer than add a leafs and gives good flex but my convertion hasnt been done fantasically
1994 sj 413 sierra
cheker plate door cards
cd players
asin free wheeling hubs
99% rust free
alloys
bukets
some leaks here and there

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:19 pm

Llama 4x4 springs are pretty good IMO.

What size tyres are you running?
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

4x4rick
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by 4x4rick » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:30 pm

i have a set of standard springs spare
some yj's
and a set of 3" smj
all for sale
as a straight bolt on the standard or smj springs would be the way to go

ive got trail tough missing links also
to go with the smj's
(what i run at present) its a great combo

12callum
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by 12callum » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:04 am

I've got a calmini shackle reverse kit doing nothing at the mo if your interested? The springs are very tough and should give you some lift but not exactly sure how much! Here's a pic.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (793.49 KiB) Viewed 7058 times

JayBM
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by JayBM » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:52 am

Thanks all,

Unfortunately my welding skills are nonexistent, so a straight bolt on solution is a must. Having done some reading I think that rules out the YJ springs. Am I right in thinking the RUF and rascal also needs so welding work?

Jordi - I've looked at Llama and they were certainly on the list for the full kit option. As for tires, I'm pretty sure they're 31".

4x4Rick - I'm certainly interested in the SMJs and missing links. What condition and price are you after? Would you be willing to ship?

If I was to go SMJ what would my options be with regard to extended shocks? Also would the SJ already have extended brake lines due to the shackles?

Thanks
James

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:59 pm

I used add a leaves before and they are rock hard... Im now on Llama 4x4 2" lift springs on the front, with evil shackles on the back!
Got to say I actually find them quite comfortable! I will definitely be investing in a pair of rears when money allows!
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

JayBM
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by JayBM » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:02 pm

Does anyone have any knowledge about the below....

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... cmd=VIDESC

I realise they're from an Australian company but I have family in Australia so could get the shipped locally and then sent over here significantly cheaper than the quoted international shipping.

dazerede
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by dazerede » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:09 pm

The shipping is a bit exspensive

Best option in llama 4x4
Suzuki Sj 410 Jap Built
Recaro Seats Fitted
Landini Blue Colour
Full rollcage and winch bumper
1.6 8v vitara lump with su carb