Fitting gear box

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Fitting gear box

Post by timwilks13 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:05 am

Im currently putting my gear box and engine together to go back in my sj, but can i get the blooming gear box on? no. Am i missing something or just being daft, should they just fit together pretty easily? I have everything lined up etc, tried rotating the flywheel to line the crank shaft up etc, but nothing seems to work?
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Fitting gear box

Post by ROBBIE » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:30 am

Has the clutch plate moved?
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:33 am

Just a case of lots of waggling i found.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:44 pm

Then waggle i shall! In the workshop tonight so will crack on again and report back if it really REALLY wont go on. Clutch plate seems fine, everything looks like its lined up and just waiting to be assembled!

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!

ROBBIE

Post by ROBBIE » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:09 pm

If the clutch is ok waggle harder :lol:
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:47 pm

Have you tried shouting and swearing?
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:06 pm

When i swapped it in my Zuk it took a long time of wiggling.

When i swapped it when i did the 1.6 swap it just went straight together in 2 seconds.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Pugsley
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Pugsley » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:23 pm

I'm sure you've worked this out for yourself but it doesn't hurt to state the obvious sometimes. Quite often putting in the gearbox can be difficult because you get knackered with the effort and all the wiggling in the world is a waste of time - lift the rear of the box so that it's parked on the cross member which houses the rubber mounting assembly and have a rest.

Find blocks of wood etc which when placed one on the other will park the box at the best height for a forward push to engage the splines. Raise the front of the box bit by bit and build up the wooden blocks - have a rest. Have a mate with a torch peering in from the engine compartment to guide you on correct alignment - also have him armed with one of the nuts which fits on one of the two studs which secure the box to the engine.

Be careful of too much wiggling which can allow the clutch release bearing to foul and become dislodged. Remember not to get angry or frustrated because someone else has done this job in record time - if it won't attach or engage something is wrong - analyse and address the problem.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:38 pm

Its not in the Zuk. He's building it up on the floor and putting it all in as one.

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:55 pm

thanks everyone, turns out shouting and swearing was the key! all together now.....except the clutch is stiff as stiff fudge when i try to move it, is there more leverage using the actual clutch peddle than me trying to pull it? as in are they just dead firm and you cant really do them by hand?