WANDERING STEERING?

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
colinl
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

WANDERING STEERING?

Post by colinl » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:11 pm

Hi All,
does anybody know of any way of checking the tracking without the use of any fancy gauges as my SJ seems to be doing some wandering when on the road?After christmas im going to adjust the steering box to take up the steering wheel play as i need to get it to behave itself whilst on the road but i think the tracking is also out.

Hope everyone has a good Christmas!!
regards Col

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: WANDERING STEERING?

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Roll (bump) steer is one of the standard characteristics of leaf springs but it shouldn't be that bad.

what suspension set up do you have?

I'd check all the rod ends, wheel bearings, kingpins, steering column etc as well, any play can make the steering more vague.

There should be 2-6mm toe in and this is normall measured from the centre of standard size tyres I think looking at the workshop manual? I would perhaps just do it measuring between the inside lip of the rims if you are doing it at home, setting the difference between back and front of the rims at 2mm.

Might the easiest way to go?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

colinl
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by colinl » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:56 pm

Hi, Thanks for getting back! Your method is the one im going to try as this is what i did on the Disco and it worked ok.The suspension setup is as my other post regarding it being too hard but now it has had a leaf took out from each corner and is like driving a different car! The ride is now much softer but it has still kept its height and it takes a lot more for it to cock a wheel so i think that this is now the best im going to get it.
All the rod ends and kingpins are good as are the wheel bearings but there is play in the steering box.

regards Col

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:38 pm

You have lift shackles fitted dont you? These can allow for a bit more side to side movement of the springs so this can cause a bit 'vague' handling.

They also reduce the amount of positive caster slightly.

Stock caster is +3.5degrees. at this setting the front diff flange should sit at 10degrees on flat ground.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

colinl
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by colinl » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:03 pm

Do you think i should do away with the shackles for standard ones?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:38 pm

I would check the caster angle first, it might still be ok?? Might be worth fitting some to see if it makes a difference. To check the caster you just need an angle finder, you can get apps on some smartphones that are quite accurate.

If it needs more caster you can always redrill the perches and plates to move the axle 25mm forwards, because of the arch of the spring it gives you a bit of caster back and might help.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!