x-eng handbrake kit/413 suspension shanked bolts?

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
Anton
I spend far too much time on here

x-eng handbrake kit/413 suspension shanked bolts?

Post by Anton » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:39 pm

Heya guys.

Anyone know the specification of the shank bolts that hold the leaf springs in on a 413?

I'm collecting parts for a rebuild (got a 410 t-case, vitara PAS setup, the bits to make a rear disc conversion, new poly bushes, recon vitara brake calipers x4, new track rod ends etc), I'd like to know what the proper spec is so I don't grind up my new poly bushes from the inside out. I've been told that the shank prevents the smaller bushes (without the internal collar) from being eaten away by the bolt's thread.

Also, does anyone know if the x-eng t-case handbrake kit is any good? £150 or so seems like not bad money if they're nice and safe/strong. Plus they're in Horsham, and my gran lives there - so I can pop in for a kit next time I go see 'er!

Thanks!
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: x-eng handbrake kit/413 suspension shanked bolts?

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:13 pm

M12 with about a 70mm shank if I remember correctly for the large bushes think the shackle bushes use the same?

And the xeng handbrakes are good after a few mods, in stock form they hold well but the cable fucks up unless you have body lift and can route it with no tight corners. mine now works and releases really well after a few years worth of changes! used to set it up for the MOT and hope it lasted for more than a week :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Anton

Post by Anton » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:48 pm

Thanks Scottie. I'll measure the bolts next time I'm down where the SJ is kept just to be sure. I was hoping someone would "just know" - and I could order some off the 'net, but it was a long shot.

The handbrake cable - I heard that, have they not fixed it? I heard they're using a LR handbrake cable instead of a Suzuki one (lack of available suzuki parts, they say). I don't have a body lift, and I don't want one - so the tight corners thing might be an issue...
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Darrell » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:52 pm

The bolts on the standard shackle are special, these are pressed into the side plate and are stepped so as when done up tight the distance between the side plates is 60mm. These can get very rusty but I don't know anyone in the UK selling standard shackles apart from Suzuki. Hope my crappy drawing explains better..
Standard shackle bolts.jpg
Standard shackle bolts.jpg (85.32 KiB) Viewed 7656 times

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index.ph ... ually.html

http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/index.php ... =15&t=3717
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

Anton

Post by Anton » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:51 pm

Your drawing explains it perfectly. I wish I still had those bolts, I have no idea what I did with them!

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:57 pm

Anton wrote:Your drawing explains it perfectly. I wish I still had those bolts, I have no idea what I did with them!

For nuts and bolts you could try theses guys there very cheap too! im sure they would be happy to help you out. i have been to there shops loads of times over the years and i have never ever walked away without what i went in there for!.

http://www.namrick.co.uk/ also known and the The Nut & bolt Store...
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

Anton

Post by Anton » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:34 am

I didn't order the washers (got a truckload already), and I ordered 12, not 4, but that's exactly what I bought too!

Makes me feel a bit better, I seem to have got that right. :smokin:

steve greenc3
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by steve greenc3 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:56 pm

Fitted x- eng handbrake kit to my Samurai, no lift kit fitted, cable looked bit tight on bends but has been pretty impressive on winch challenges and road use. Worth the money to stop your truck rolling away!

Anton

Post by Anton » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:00 pm

Yeah, I think I'm gonna get one. I want something a bit more impressive holding me than the standard drum.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:08 pm

I have a feeling they changed the cables they are using for them. The new ones are a bit more flexible so that probably helps. Mine was ok at first when I fitted it and then just went crap, all sorted now though :thumbup:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!