wide angle or double cardan prop shaft

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
C368MOO
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

wide angle or double cardan prop shaft

Post by C368MOO » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:21 pm

hi gus,
after lifting my sj the front prop is knocking, had a quick look and found there is not enough movement in the yoke.
i know some people use toyota props to cure the problem? iv also Herd people have been using double cardan props but who makes these?

cheers

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: wide angle or double cardan prop shaft

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:49 pm

A double cardon will be no use for the front as it needs the diff to be pointed at the transferbox output and doing that with a front axle will destroy your caster angle.

How much lift are you running and what set up? Sounds like too much if the UJs are binding. Any chance of some decent pics of the prop fitted? To be honest if the UJs are binding on flat ground chances are you're going to have even more problems when the suspension articulates even with wider angle UJs

Are you running a prop spacer? These actually make your UJ angles worse a lengthened prop is always a better option.

Also what props are you running? Late 410 props are longer than 413 and samurai props so you might be able to run those instead of having a spacer fitted.

You could also redrill the front perches and spring plates to move the axle forwards, that will also help reduce the prop angle, providing you have a prop long enough to cope with the lift and added wheelbase.

You could also clearance the yokes a bit with a grinder where they catch, just be careful to not remove too much material and weaken them.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

C368MOO
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by C368MOO » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:09 pm

hey,
lift wise its on SPOA and lifted springs and dreaded D-flex shackles. looking at loosing the D-flexes though as steering is far too vague.

im afraid that pics arnt availible because the anus is in surrey and im in hampshire atm.

iv tried it with both prop spacer in and out, axle is already 1.5" forward so very little spline contact when its out.

so looking at losing shackles and extending prop?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:47 pm

I would definetly loose the drop shackles, to be honest, I wouldn't run lift springs with the spoa either unless they are only 1.5" over standard max. You don't really need any extra lift if you have spoa, in my opinion it causes more issues than there are advantages I.e. the sort of problems you are having.

Having a really high truck is also not that great offroad either as the centre of gravity will be so high that it'll be a lot easier to roll it. Just run enough lift to clear whatever tyres your running without them catching under articulation, maybe do a little bit of trimming as well to minimize the amount of lift. Your SJ will peform better overall that way and be more reliable.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!