Battery

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
charger
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Battery

Post by charger » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:17 pm

I need a new battery any recomendations.
1991 Samurai
Rough Country Lift/Shocks
Cherry Bomb Exhaust
Bronco Diamond Back 215/15
Llama Brake Hose

turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Battery

Post by turbo-tom » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:33 pm

numax are pretty good thats what i use and they keep there charge , also i got varta aswell they are good for what i have used it for , but heard mixed opinions about them both :lol:

i rate them both good batts ;)

but if you want to spend big bucks i would go for a optima or a odyssey battery ;)
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:43 pm

Numax for me :doublethumbs:

I've had mine for around 4 years now, been in the SJ and it's in the golf at the moment.

I'm gonna get myself one of these for the SJ just before it goes back on the road :doublethumbs:

http://www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-CXV-X-1000-Amp-P7632.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

chrisj410
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by chrisj410 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:13 pm

Optima I run a yellow top in my daily drive I got a numax in my Sammy they're very good too
Last edited by chrisj410 on Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:30 pm

I personally don't rate optima's, my housmate had one in his range rover and it didn't last 18months and won't hold a charge anymore, we tried all the charging techniques on the optima website and none of them worked.

This thread says a lot about Optimas nowadays, it starts out ok but then the more you read the more problems people have http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7045" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and another
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthre ... ght=optima" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:33 pm

ScottieJ wrote:I personally don't rate optima's, my housmate had one in his range rover and it didn't last 18months and won't hold a charge anymore, we tried all the charging techniques on the optima website and none of them worked.
Did you try putting it in a decent vehicle? Maybe it just doesnt like range rovers :P
I recently acquired a red top that was dead flat for 6 months. Charged it up and it works well now :D
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:50 pm

But your sj hasn't been on the road since you got the battery twiss :thefinger: I'm not saying that they are all bad but from what I've seen and what I've read I would not pay the new asking price for one or recommend one myself.

If you got it for free you can't complain if it lasts or dies really anyway.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

chrisj410
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by chrisj410 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:12 pm

Mine has been fine n ive had it two years, but in saying that if a battery can't hant an sj410 you got issues but I do agree if it were to shit itself I would buy a numax

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:19 pm

... although my last battery was a halford 3 year maintenance free... and it lasted 4 years!
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:30 pm

I think any battery that is looked after will last a lot longer than the warranty given on them. It's just you have to question is it worth paying the extra for a battery that might not actually last longer than a cheapo one.

That's one of the reasons I like the look of that Numax one, it's got a bloody good spec for it's price.

The Numax I have had for 4 years has been run flat to the point that it won't start my sj or golf a few times and just the other week I accidentally bent one of the starter connections over and it was shorting the battery, I didn't realise for at least a day until I went to start the golf and it wouldn't, I went to jump it off another battery and got an almighty spark when I did :lol:

It still works fine as well :er: they've gotta be made well to survive all that :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!