2003 GO glow plugs RHW engine

All tech relating to the Suzuki Vitara that won't relate to any other models, Front IFS etc.
MikeMaxo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

2003 GO glow plugs RHW engine

Post by MikeMaxo » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:57 pm

So my GV would not start at 6 am today, AA man got it started and said probably glow plugs. ...
Anyway picked 4 new ones up but can only get 3 old ones out... 4th will not budge...
Tested the 3, one is dead other two seem ok.
The new ones I got are wrong so will change tomorrow, question is would you risk busting the last one trying to get it out (2nd from back on engine) or just put 3 new ones in?

Won't even mention the amount of oil I can see around the bottom of the engine now I have looked with a torch....

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Re: 2003 GO glow plugs RHW engine

Post by Anton » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:12 am

Try soaking it with a little low viscosity oil overnight - something like WD40 that can take advantage of capillary action. A lot of people in the US make an emulsion out of automatic transmission fluid and nail polish remover - the nail polish remover is more likely to take advantage of the capillary action, and draws some ATF with it.

Although this article suggests using 90% vegetable oil and 10% acetone (nail polish remover) works exactly the same as ATF/10% Acetone.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

ROBBIE

Post by ROBBIE » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:19 am

Anton, I used to put a bit of acetone in my veg oil for my old pug. Can't remember why but think it had something to do with cleaning carbon deposits. So if that was the idea I can see why putting that on overnight could work
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

MikeMaxo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by MikeMaxo » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:34 pm

I soaked it last night in wd40, going out now to try again. Will try to make access a bit better too :)
Thanks for the suggestion. Will see how I get on today.

Anton

Post by Anton » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:48 pm

ROBBIE wrote:Anton, I used to put a bit of acetone in my veg oil for my old pug. Can't remember why but think it had something to do with cleaning carbon deposits. So if that was the idea I can see why putting that on overnight could work
That's not even something I thought of, but good point!

The idea is that the acetone thins out the oil and makes it seep into the thread of the bolt/nut/spark plug/glow plug/whatever. It uses capillary attraction. Essentially a little oil is sucked up by the threads in the same way a sponge or cloth sucks up water (it uses the same principle of physics).

The acetone lowers the viscosity of the oil and makes it more likely to creep into a joint. Acetone/veg oil is supposedly twice as good as WD40.

But if it can also break down the gunk (and that's what acetone is famous for, after all - breaking down solids into liquids) then I can see that helping even more.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

ROBBIE

Post by ROBBIE » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:52 pm

Anton wrote: The acetone lowers the viscosity of the oil and makes it more likely to creep into a joint. Acetone/veg oil is supposedly twice as good as WD40.
Always had to thin the veg out with something be it acetone, white spirit, petrol or kerosene :lol:
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good