Tyres for my SJ

Anything Suzuki related, but not technical, it goes here!
Darby
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Tyres for my SJ

Post by Darby » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:30 am

Hello, not been on here for a while so sorry if this is in the wrong section. When I bought my truck it had a set of Insa Turbo Sahara's on (31/10.50/R15) and without knowing it had been sat will all tyres flat for a long time,and the walls had cracked so they are not good to use so im now on the look out for a new set of tyres but there are so many out there I was just wanting abit of advice/help. I'm not wanting to spend a silly about but I am looking at a set of All Terrains. Many thanks

Simon.

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Re: Tyres for my SJ

Post by timwilks13 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:43 am

If you're after buying new something like Kingpin Technic Tracker AT's roll in at about £70 a tyre for 31/10.50/R15's . Or the Kingpin Tracker MT's aren't much more, bit more tread.

See Malatesta Kobra's around a fair bit, slightly too agressive if you just want AT's, but not too dear.
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

Darby
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Darby » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:56 am

Ok thanks, yes I had looked at kingpin technic tracker AT but wasn't sure what people thought about them.

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:58 am

I would wait for a first hand experience, I've always run something slightly more aggressive so not overly familiar with AT's. Last tyre's I ran were Recip Trials, loved them, but a slightly more dear.

What is the primary use of your truck? Just road use and a daily drive? Or occasional off roading also
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

NylonAdmiral
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by NylonAdmiral » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:02 pm

I run 31inch Kingpin Trekkers on mine and really like them. They seem to have lasted really well and do pretty well in the mud.
1.6 16v, Rock Lobster, PAS, Muddyzook rear disc conversion, coated in Raptor, 33in x 10.5, heated seats, lovingly restored by Scottie!

RickUK
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Location: Not sure me Tom Tom is bust,but it could be North of Watford Gap.Could be Bedfordshire though.

Post by RickUK » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:24 pm

As i mainly use my truck on the road for 95% of the time i just tend to use tyres use on vans,if i was to use real off road biased tyres then the handling would be terrible,so when i sat down and worked out what i wanted i went for more road biased tyres.

Never regretted it and also never got stuck as yet,but i will say that i dont go off road as mad as most folks do,as i bought the truck for mainly hunting,fishing and shooting and thus far its never let me down,it may be not the newest Vitara on the block but its been one of the most reliable motors that i have ever owned apart from my all time favourite Isuzu Trooper TD that i had for nearly 18 years and i totally regret selling it.
Deceased.
SJ413 tinwormed to the great car grave yard in the sky.
Vitara LWB V6 engine deceased and also in the great grave yard in the sky.
www.hideones.info www.hideones.info
Current wheels.
BMW X5 Le Mans 3.0turbo diesel.
Looking for a newish Suzuki Jimny.

Darby
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Darby » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:41 pm

I am going to be using it for both on and off roading, will also use it around the farm on a daily basis and maybe for abit of shooting as well, so looking for something that will be best of both worlds

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:00 pm

If it's on and off road, then you'll probably be best off with either all terrains, or mild mud terrain tyres. Mine is road legal, but it's not a daily driver - so I have very aggressive mud terrain tyres. However, they're super noisy, and frankly don't hold the road that well. Doesn't matter to me though, as it's averaged less than 500 miles a year for the last few years. Rick's spot on here - mud tyres (especially agressive ones like the Symex clones I have) aren't good road tyres *at all*.

I used to run a set of road tyres (BFG Long Trail T/A) and swap them for the muds, and the road tyres were 200% better on roads. Really. Quiet, GRIPPY, comfy tyres. Never tried offroading with them. But did so few road miles that it became obvious that I was wasting time and effort swapping them over all the time.

I ran some mild mud tyres for a while (BFG Mud Terrain T/A) and they were nicer on the road too, but then again, not as good in the mud.

Tim's recommendations seem spot on to me.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:32 pm

Maxxis bighorns :thumbup: they are a mud terrain but they are good on road and not too noisy.

I would rather run a non aggressive mud terrain than an All terrain, nothing worse than going off-road and having tyres that struggle even if it is on the odd occasion.

I've been running my maxxxis buckhots for a good few years now, they still have plenty of tread left and work well both on and off-road.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

binge
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by binge » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:16 pm

I used to run the BF-G tyres in a 29, and now run a 31" version of the same tread pattern, just in a Kingpin remould.
Shares the same tread as the Maxxis Buckshot tyres. Brilliant off road, and still half sensible on road too.

Used to run some Recip tyres and they were horrendous on road!