toyota springs......

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
soalsix
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

toyota springs......

Post by soalsix » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:34 pm

I've googled it to death... But not much joy! Which Hilux do I take the leaf springs from for my Sammy?

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Re: toyota springs......

Post by Anton » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:10 pm

I once jury rigged a mk3 leaf into my leaf pack as one of my leaf springs had snapped.

Running new(er) springs now.

So what are you trying to accomplish? Why Hilux springs?
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:20 pm

Mk2/3 fronts are similar dimensions to YJ springs but are not a direct bolt on fit and would require some fab work to do the conversion.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

soalsix
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by soalsix » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:36 am

Well, im a bit of a tight to be honest. New Sammy springs are silly money, yj springs seem to be pretty scarce. But I know of a place north of me that breaks Toyota's and has a few Hilux sitting about. So I thought if I can get the Hilux springs at a decent price I would go for a set of them. My Sammy springs are, well, flat at the front and the top leaf on the n/s/r has snapped at the spring perch. I'm not worried about fab work as I can do that no problem.

Anton

Post by Anton » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:17 pm

Read this thread - it's about Navara leafs, not Yota, but the information in there about engineering your own solution might give you a head start.

Then measure twice, discuss it to death here, and then when you're ready fab up the bits.

:D
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

soalsix
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by soalsix » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:45 pm

I'll have to ask him how he's getting on with the navara springs. I will have a pair next week if I decide im brave enough to go ahead with it. Only thing being, What would I fit to the front?? Another pair of navaras? surely they're way too long for the front?

Anton

Post by Anton » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:33 am

He went YJ springs/Navara springs.

For cheapness, I would GO RUF (rears up front) nevara/yota rear. That is to say, put your (longer) rear springs up front with modded mount points.

That's what most people seem to do, although I think that they tend to go with Bedford Rascal or Suzuki supercarry springs on the back.

Thing is, you don't say anything about wanting to lift the SJ, and all of these plans are going to do just that.

soalsix
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by soalsix » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:22 am

Ok that sounds promising! I had guessed doing the spring swaps would lift the Sammy. How much I'm not sure though. I've already done the virtual lift, so do you think it's possible to fit 31" tyres once I've fitted the springs in that configuration? Ruf and navara rear?

Anton

Post by Anton » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:18 am

There's no guarantees as to how high it's going to sit once you are done, but I think that 31s will probably fit ok. You don't need massive lift to get 31s on a Sammy, especially if you have modified the arches.

By the way - pics please!

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:38 pm

How am I finding the Navara springs?

To date I'm more than happy with the new set up, but it's early days and I haven't had much time playing in it?
The height hasn't changed much, but that was the plan, keep it lowish.
I've now got my 31's on OK, but I did plan to move the front axle forward, and the rear one back to increase the wheelbase a little, and all seems OK.
I needed to fit spacers on the front and chop the arches out, but no issues with the bulkhead due to moving the axle forward a little. Very close to the steering arms touching, but close is fine ;)
Both front and rear the shackles are a little exposed, but I'm going to a P&P on the 13th April, so I will find out how much of an issue it is.
As for flex, I'm more than happy so far. I'm doing a virtual lift on the rear at the moment, not needed, but the arches were shot, so I might as well.
I'm fitting rear spacers and +50mm acrches too.
When it's sorted this weekend I will drive to work in it and do a flex test up against a skip as an idea for how worthwhile it's all been.
Would I put Navara springs on the front? Probably not, they are very long. UNLESS you fabricate some mounts up to push the chassis end WELL back.
Any questions or pics you might want, just ask.
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage