Zuk on 38's

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Zuk on 38's

Post by TanZuk » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:36 pm

ianedwards wrote::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

i feel the same, lol

its nuts,

wicked, keep it coming

Ian

Thanks for the thumbs up. Your discription of the build is spot on.
Last edited by TanZuk on Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TanZuk » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:49 pm

trotter wrote:As a toolmaker/machinist I can appreciate the time, thought process and skill that has gone into the design and manufacture of this amazing rig. The care and attention to detail show just how much enjoyment you must get out of overcoming the various problems in building a rig this size. I bet you can't wait for it's first drive to see all the people stop and stare as you drive by :)

Ignore the haters everyone builds their rig for their own purpose and I would imagine any who don't appreciate the time and skill put into this one are just jealous that's it's better than their own.

Keep up the good work!!

Trotter

It is a pleasure meeting another man of the trade. It's nice you can appreciate the effort it actually takes to manage these difficult engineering situations and try and pull it off.

As you mentioned I just build things that are in my head and each to their own. It is gratifying when the project is done and people show their excitement in something that they have not seen before. I have several of these types of builds that I have done and that feeling doesn't seem to get old.

It has been a pleasure reading your post. Thanks Terry

TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TanZuk » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:06 pm

ScottieJ wrote:Whoaa 7 pages already Terry :salute: thank you very much for taking the time to add the thread to our site.

well if you want a test pilot for the Rod i'll fly over to Florida :brows: :lol:

The zuki on 38s still doesn't look too high next to the stocker, and I just can't believe how clean all the Sammys look over there, guess they don't suffer from rust as much as they do in the UK.
trotter wrote:
Ignore the haters everyone builds their rig for their own purpose and I would imagine any who don't appreciate the time and skill put into this one are just jealous that's it's better than their own.

Trotter
I don't think anyone could've put it better! It's why I've been following the thread on 2 other sites!

Hey Scott,

Just trying to keep your members interested the time taken isn't too bad.

I seem to remeber you telling me about a miss hap you had not long ago with a bush? :poke:
I would have to think very hard on your request for test pilot for the Willys. :er: That will be a real hand full. The bikes I use to build with the Chevy motors did 9.6 sec in the quarter mile and that was a hand full at only 360HP.

Yes, I appreciate what Trotter has said. With all the unique builds that I have done through out the years I have come accustomed to the haters. If you ignore them they just tend to go away.

BTW have posted on your build threads here and on the Zu.

Thanks for stopping in Scott

ianedwards
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by ianedwards » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:41 pm

I used to do the work with lathes and millers and the such, takes skill and time, I got bored lol

I haven't got access to the equipment now, so I make do with what's I'm my dads garage, lol

As long as you love what you do, keep doing it,

All the haters are just jealous that you can do it and they can't. Screw um

From what I can see, your work is amazing, totally out of my league.

Keep it up.

Ian
Cheers

Ian. :)

1987 Suzuki SJ413 KJA - Fixed + Modified in my own way

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:15 pm

TanZuk wrote:.

Read that you were disappointed that I was not going to make any more inlets. I'm not sure that you calculated how much 260 Hours to make at 100 US dollars an Hour that would be 26,000 US. That is one of the problems the other is I'm just too busy to take on anything other then what I need to finish.

However if you have the cash and I need half up front and the balance before I ship then I may consider one for you.

Thanks for following along.
I'd consider it if it wasn't over x10 the value of my truck, What sort of machines are you doing it with? surely if you are running CNC it would be dead easy to replicate it then you could sell copies the world over...... I'd certainly pay around £300 ~ $500 for a manifold
ianedwards wrote:I used to do the work with lathes and millers and the such, takes skill and time, I got bored lol
the last time I used a lathe & milling machine was when I was apprentice, I did the machining module and had to make a plum bob on the lathe (with a brass knurled section that threaded into the main body) then on the milling machines I had to make an aluminium V block I enjoyed it but I wouldn't be able to do it every day!!

TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TanZuk » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:39 pm

Tramp wrote:

Read that you were disappointed that I was not going to make any more inlets. I'm not sure that you calculated how much 260 Hours to make at 100 US dollars an Hour that would be 26,000 US. That is one of the problems the other is I'm just too busy to take on anything other then what I need to finish.

However if you have the cash and I need half up front and the balance before I ship then I may consider one for you.

I'd consider it if it wasn't over x10 the value of my truck, What sort of machines are you doing it with? surely if you are running CNC it would be dead easy to replicate it then you could sell copies the world over...... I'd certainly pay around £300 ~ $500 for a manifold
ianedwards wrote:I used to do the work with lathes and millers and the such, takes skill and time, I got bored lol
the last time I used a lathe & milling machine was when I was apprentice, I did the machining module and had to make a plum bob on the lathe (with a brass knurled section that threaded into the main body) then on the milling machines I had to make an aluminium V block I enjoyed it but I wouldn't be able to do it every day!!

Tramp, Don't think that we really have to get into who can machine what. That is not the point of the thread. I believe that we are starting to get off topic.

As far as the inlet the price I quoted is what it is. It is manually done and if you can get it cheaper by all means do so. This is why I mentioned that I wouldn't be making any more.

TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TanZuk » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:42 pm

To keep things more interesting I decided to look at what was being done on Trotters build. This was for reference on what the common things that are worked on. I saw a lot of rust repair going on.

I was also affected by this problem. Mine happened to be from battery acid rot on the US PS side of the Rig.

I had to replace the fender and do an extensive repair of the firewall and a support bracket that had rotted away. Here are some pics of the strip down, repair and reassembly.

Here is the fender off

Repaired areas

Inside of replaced fender

New fender and Updated Grill

I’m sure that most can relate to this pic

I have many other pic and things that I have fixed other then just the build that I have been showing. If there is something else that you would like to talk about, if I have the info and pics I would be glad to do so..

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:16 pm

TanZuk wrote:
Tramp wrote:

Tramp, Don't think that we really have to get into who can machine what. That is not the point of the thread. I believe that we are starting to get off topic.

As far as the inlet the price I quoted is what it is. It is manually done and if you can get it cheaper by all means do so. This is why I mentioned that I wouldn't be making any more.
I'm certainly not suggesting you make them at a loss, as you say the price is what it is and I'm sure the amount of time you put into it would make it worth that much, I was merely suggesting if you had made it on a CNC miller a duplicate would be possible for the cost of the billet blank (and machine running costs) I have no idea how you would begin something of that complexity by hand and assumed you would have had to use some sort of CAD program to design it in the first place, Did you use a CAD at all? I'm still looking forward to more pics of the manifold and how it came together, Like I said I have no idea how you would start the thought process behind it but a step by step on how you did machine it would be great

TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TanZuk » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:42 pm

Tramp,

There was no Cad used. I mentioned earlier for someone what experience I had and the machines that I use in my shop. I guess that you had missed those posts.

The only pics that I have are the ones I posted already. I mentioned that earlier as well with an explination that I didn't take any process pics becuase I was not making another.

This was my proto type and there will be no step by step. It is way too complicated to even get into how to. Not many would even know what I was talking about anyway.

You mentioned Cad and CNC as they were something cheap to buy. I would never invest any money to produce anything for the Samurai. Because the people that own them don't like to spend any money for parts as we all know.

I will end this by saying the inlet subject is now closed and thanks for the interest.

andyrew
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by andyrew » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:43 pm

simply epic
Andys Rusty Suzuki Emporium