Scottie's Zuke. Blue

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Scottie's Zuke

Post by TanZuk » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Scott, I’m starting to feel your excitement on the completion of your Rig. :rockin:

Sometimes it is hard to remember to take pics, particularly when you are focused on getting the task done. I have found that it usually takes longer to document the process then it does to complete it though.

Questions

Is that a stainless steel muffler?

What type of muffler is it?

The blue air intake hose looks a bit too high to get bonnet closed. Are you planning on something to maybe lower it?

Looks real good. I’m sure you can’t wait to get it all dirty. :doublethumbs:

Terry

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi Terry Yes I actually can't wait to get it out for it's first drive on road let alone off road. Everything mechanically is sorted now, all transmission fluids filled, power steering plumbed and filled, brakes bled, handbrake set up etc. It's just a case of finishing all the paintwork, fitting the interior and doors etc. and plugging in the lights, oh and wiring up the electric fans as I haven't done that yet.
TanZuk wrote: Is that a stainless steel muffler?
Yes both silencers are stainless, the rest of the system is just mild steel at the moment though

What type of muffler is it?
That's actually a good question :er: It's the old exhaust system off my golf gti, it got a bit dented in the crash so I went back to a stock exhaust system and thought I might as well recycle it for the Suzuki, I think they are both straight through as it was a performance system but I could well be wrong. The important bit is that it’s not too loud and sounds quite throaty ;)

The blue air intake hose looks a bit too high to get bonnet closed. Are you planning on something to maybe lower it?
Yes it is indeed too high; that’s one of my to-do jobs next weekend. I think I am going to rework the SU intake so that it angles down a bit more, I need to modify this anyway so that the dash pot breathers aren’t open to the atmosphere (and mud) but are linked into the main intake

Looks real good. I’m sure you can’t wait to get it all dirty. :doublethumbs:
Cheers and indeed! I’m sure it won’t look all nice and shiny for long :lol: I’ll probably take it out for a gentle bit of offroading once it’s MOT’d and Taxed. It’s going to be almost like a completely different vehicle with the lower gearing, power steering and new suspension

Terry
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:33 pm

Having just driven mine on the road for the first time with 1.6 with SU carb and power steering I have to say it was truly stunning to drive.

Roll on the 19th!

Terry I might have to PM you with some gearbox questions if thats ok as I remember seeing a nice guide written by you somewhere so you clearly know your stuff?

Dan
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:00 pm

I'm looking forward to it, I didn't mind it without power steering before but now I don't have to wrestle the steering wheel when stationary/moving slow its quite nice.

The major bit I think I'm gonna notice is the ride difference.

This guide Dan? http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/diy/16-tr ... build-tips
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:45 pm

Yeah. Thought I saw it on an american site.

The front metal casing that the input shaft runs through is very worn from the release bearing on my spare box so was wondering if it can be swapped for the one on my other box without too many parts falling out or it not fitting for some reason?

Guessed Terry would be the man to know.

Thread officially hijacked so can be deleted once I have my answer. :D

Dan

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:40 pm

Well today was MOT day and it passed :armsup: still got a few bits to do but the MOT was the important bit that I Ned most if I'm going to make it to Suzukiday on Sunday.

A huge thanks to Trotter and Dan for randomly deciding to head over on Sunday and give my father and I a hand with the last minute jobs to get it ready for it's MOT today.

However on the way back to the workshop via a petrol station; I didn't quite make it to said petrol station! Damn fuel gauge not working! So that was the first fix when I got back, luckily I had another sender that worked after I took it apart and 'bent a few bits' :lol: Wheeey the first working fuel gauge I've ever had in this SJ :oops:

Then on arrival home air had a quick look underneath and I seem to have developed a few transmission oil leaks :x the front output on my tbox is leaking and the rear diff pinion seal is. I have a spare diff so I'm going to swap that in one evening this week and i have a feeling I have a front output section for the tbox as well. Still not what I wanted to find after all this time.

A few shots with my dads tin top for a height comparison, his is completely stock (+ a sagging drivers side front spring, what is it with SJs leaning that way :er: )

Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Darrell » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:42 pm

Great news, glad she passed :thumbup:
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:05 pm

wheeey! well done :no1: , that blue really sets of your truck :mrgreen: , how you finding the steering wheel then ?
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TanZuk » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:43 am

Nicely done with the MOT Scott.

There is always some details that need to be sorted out with the 1st shake down run. At least every thing was moving, starting with no noises :thumbup:

How did the new carb work out for you? Any notice in performance?

Terry

Dan, I sent you a PM with instructions.

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:43 pm

Glad we could help. Looking forward to the weekend. Whats an SJ without a few oil leaks :lol:

Thanks for the advice Terry.

Dan :thumbup:

P.S I said that fuel tank was empty :thefinger: