SJ410 -1985 'Cabrio', engine rebuild

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
courior
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: SJ410 -1985 'Cabrio', engine rebuild

Post by courior » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:12 pm

Ive just put 240/75 R 15 on mine and its so much better! feels miles higher and looks much better!
Maruti Gypsy MG410
Electric Fan upgrade
5 speed box
30" Insa Turbo Saharas
1.5" Shackle Lift
LWB Pickup Conversion
Lots of stickers and a Skull gearknob.
Daymaker led lights

binge
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by binge » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:37 pm

SJ is still leaking water. FOR FUCK SAKE!

It's dripping from behind the belt cover, so will have to run it up with the cover off tomorrow to see where from.
It's very slow, but still enough to piss me the fuck off.

At this rate, there is probably a hair-line crack in the engine casing. Who knows. Will investigate more tomorrow. K-Seal, Here I come! :p

binge
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by binge » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:32 pm

Sorted! I think. ;)

It was leaking from the actual water pump. Seals had gone in it.
New pump fitted. It was the wrong pump but modified slightly to fit.

All ready for tomorrow. We're heading over to Holly Hill as it's only two of us. It's a permit zone, quite mild, but has a few good little areas.

binge
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by binge » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:00 pm

Started building a stack today.

Started by shoving a 2.5" hole through the bed:

Then offered up some pipework:

Then welded a bracket to the roll cage. Gave up trying to make some sort of removable bracket for the exhaust. So just welded that straight to the bracket.
It's also welded at the bottom too. Straight to the bed.

Next job is to get an exhaust flexi pipe, and connect it up to the original tail pipe.

Then I will be fitting some sort of heat shield to it. And I will also need something for the top. I want one of them flappy flap things. But will settle for a chrome angled tip.

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:22 pm

just make sure you don't get ant rain going down your tailpipe, as that's bad news. I also hope you won't get too much heat and vibration in your rollcage like this!
It's not a question of how much you spend on your suzuki, but when your money will run out

binge
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by binge » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:46 pm

It's not connected up to the system yet. Got a flappy thing ordered for the top of it. It's getting connected up to the main exhaust either by some flexi exhaust piping, or a silicone elbow (Looking into heat resistance of it).

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by donkeychomp » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:26 pm

Beware of exhaust heat wrap. The stuff I ordered was meant to be waterproof but it wasn't and has rotted out my cherry bomb, need to take it off and weld it now. Apart from that looking good!
If it ticks over...leave it

binge
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by binge » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:48 pm

Rubbed pipe down, painted in metallic black heat paint. Topped it off with a Diesel exhaust tip.
Ordered my flexible pipe work to connect the stack to the main exhaust system. Will get on that in the next few days.
Think I am going to take the last box out of the exhaust, and connect the stack up just after the resonator box. The added length should keep it quieter, and losing a box underneath will improve flow, and reduce weight, and stuff to get caught on ruts and rocks.

binge
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by binge » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:01 pm

Fitted 31" tyres and a winch since last update. Winch is pretty good. I need to get a split charge system which can handle the current drawn by the winch, as soon as I fire the winch up, it pops the fuse in the split charger.

Fitting up the winch. I've bolted it 'upside down' to the underside of my bumper. Manned up my bumper mounts to M12 bolts, and welded the bumper mounting brackets straight to the chassis. I cant see it coming off.
I'd like to change over to rope at some point too.

Met up with some guys at 8.30 this morning. And went for a fairly decent drive from Sittingbourne to Ashford with very little road miles.

Didn't get to use the winch but very nearly had to rescue to guys from a rolled truck. We climbed up one byway which was excessively muddy from the rain. His truck slipped a rear wheel nearly over the edge of a 20/25ft ledge but luckily he managed to get back up onto 4 wheels and drive to safety. Scary stuff watching it from the outside, last time that happened to me in a similar situation, I was in the truck, and the thing rolled 4 times with me and the O/H in it. :(

A pal came out with me today, brought his GoPro along, so will have some footage later on.

themac
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by themac » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:45 pm

Is there much water-vapor in your exhaust? CHeck with your hand and see if it gets wet. If you look at the level of engine-coolant and give her some throttle, does it change?
1986 Suzuki SJ413JX
1987 Suzuki Swift GLX
1973 SAAB Sonett Mk3
1996 SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo
1975 Puch Dakota 70cc aka. The Angry Wasp
2007 Deutz-Fahr Tractor, my comfiest ride