Bit of advice on what to do with my suspension??

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
Jimny Cricket
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Bit of advice on what to do with my suspension??

Post by Jimny Cricket » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:01 pm

Hello all, just a few questions on what to do with my sammy, its a D reg 413 thats totally standard but i want to raise it up a bit, well ive already bought a set of good old ebay 2" shackles, shock raising blocks and wheel spacers to give a bit more track, i was just wondering if a set of procomp shocks would be worth investing in, ive seen the es3000 ones on the procomp site and not too badly priced (£38 each) unless you can recommend somewhere thats a better bet to buy from?, although my sammy is primarily a road car i would like to do a bit of off roading in it later on. also what other mods etc would people recommend although i would like to keep as a road car mainly but with a bit of modding lol :lol:

cheers all Jason.

pepe-le-pieu
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Bit of advice on what to do with my suspension??

Post by pepe-le-pieu » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:12 pm

for a start you need a good set of MT tyres if you want off roading.
and i think that if you want to keep it as standard as possible 2" lift is enough. they are build for off roading in the first place so :lol: . if you don't intend to ravage it like the rest of us you do not need a lot done after that the possibility are like your budget.
yes yes i bought it to save the rhino...long time ago

bourneyo
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Bit of advice on what to do with my suspension??

Post by bourneyo » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:12 am

Personaly I wudnt use extended shackles, they put added force on your suspension leaves and force them down eventualy they will staft poainting down and you will find your SJ is probably lower han when you started. Something that seems all the rage at the min are Rough countr ad-a-leavs they are imported by llama4x4 and are reasonably priced. they also do reli good quality braded brake lines, and shocks!

I went down a completly different route. I put a set of suzuki carrry/bedford rascal springs on the back, then put my original rear springs on the front with some missing link shackles. For shock absorbers i have put astra mrk1/2 rear shocks on the front £18 inc p+p for both and on the rear i am putting landrover series 2/3 rears £26.99 inc p+p for both both need very basic mods to fit. My only consern is that the rear is going to be VERY stiff as the springs are brand new and the shocks are designed for a much heavier vehicle. but they should soften up or i can change my shocks, all of this has given me a 2" lift, but a fair bit of articulation, especialy on the front. but more importantly allow me to fit my 30" machos :mrgreen: :lol:

Other mods you may want to consider, something to cover your wheels/tyres when you have put your spacers on, as you look down the side of your sj onto the tyres you aren't allowed to see any tread, if you get pulled with exposed tyres and they decide to do you its 3 points EACH!!!!! abit extreme but would result in bye bye license! a comon solution to this is get a bin or something made of reasonably stiff plastic cut it into strips and screw or rivit to the underside of your arches with it exposed enough to cover the tyres, or put some landrover defender arches on, with abit of modification with the jigsaw they fit a treat and look reli good which is the route i will eventualy go down. or if it doesnt al ready you could get some wider plastic arches and stick them on. (let me know if you choose this route(must install a wink smilie))

Hope thats not to much to take in in one go!

Dan 8-)
http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk the new home for your suzuki sj