hiya

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
mrtom1973
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

hiya

Post by mrtom1973 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:22 pm

Hi all im Tom from Kidderminster. Ive recently become intrested in buying an sj and have been reading the forum for the past couple of weeks. I really would like one but want to use it as my everyday car. I see they are not that great on fuel and was wondering if the carb or inj is best to go for? I understand they are a bit bumpy on road but ive been into classic minis for years and owned loads of them so am used to a bumpy ride :P . I also understand they rust a bit like minis but this isnt a problem as im a mecahnic, im just wondering what to look for as to were they usualy rust?

Ive been looking on ebay and difflock at sj's for sale but a lot of them seem to be set up for off road use. Is it easy to convert an sj back to road use? eg tyres,suspension. What are the best tyres for road use and what sort of price can i expect to pay for them?

So many questions. I hope you dont mind as i said im looking into the idea at the moment and just want to know what im looking for.

Many thanks.
Tom

Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: hiya

Post by Edweird » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:38 pm

I've know a fuel inj one to get 40mpg, while according to peeps here carb usually get's high 20s low 30s.

As for rust, I'd check wheel arches, doors, tailgate and tailgate's surroundings, floor and bulkhead.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

mrtom1973
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by mrtom1973 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:44 pm

Cheers. As i said just looking at the moment to get an idea of what to look for then go and have a look at some for sale. I thought inj would be the best to go for.

Tom

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:59 am

hello,

Im glad you are wanting an SJ for the road, When I was looking for an SJ I wanted a road goer and i got one although i did go to look at a few nails! but good sj's are getting thin on the ground, good luck to you though,

Re. the injection SJ's, the standard carb on the 1.3 engine is the asin unit which is prone to failing (usually through the choke sticking on), webber make a suitable replacment but if you get an injection you don't have the same problems,

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:11 pm

The main places they rot are all around the arches, behind the front seats around the body mounts and where the fuel filler goes through the boot floor oh and if its a sammy under the plastic sill covers

a few pics for your reference :mrgreen:

Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

mrtom1973
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by mrtom1973 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:17 pm

Hiya again. Thanks for the pics, gives me a good idea of what to look for. I can weld reasonably well so that shouldnt be an issue. Definetly think i will look for an inj sj though as i need reasonable fuel economy. What is parts availabilty like? i was talking to a friend who owns a 4x4 and said i should be careful what i buy as parts can be expensive. Are parts readily available for the sj? such as service items?

Tom

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:49 pm

no worries.

All service parts are easily available for sjs from any motor factors, there are a few things that can be hard to source in the uk, however i've never had any issues finding what i've needed over the years (and thats a lot :lol: ). Also all the oil seals and bearings are pretty standard size items available from any bearing supplier easily enough.

Scottie J
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!