Engine rebuild

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
Charlesb
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Engine rebuild

Post by Charlesb » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:09 pm

Recently picked up a 87 SJ413 for my lad to rebuild. The engine is shot-, it ran fine for a while - now one piston not keeping up with the other three. Can anyone recommend a decent supplier of short engines up in the North East? We would prefer to rebuild ourselves, but would like to find a spare 1.3 engine to work with, but no-one seems to have them up here.

binge
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Engine rebuild

Post by binge » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:46 pm

They're really easy engines to rebuild. I'd say you're better off just pulling it apart first to see exactly what is knackered.
They're non-interference engines, so you're not going to smash anything up if it's not timed up right.
Whip the head off, take a look. New parts are dirt cheap for them too.

Charlesb
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Charlesb » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:18 pm

I pulled the head off, no damage there, cranked engine over with a ratchet, and no4 piston not moving. It will slide up and down cleanly, and no scoring, so somewhere on con-rod gone. Will drop engine out tomorrow to see what's bust. hopefully the cranks O.K. It had wedged solid, so a bit concerned the con-rod may have hit something...
I would like a spare engine to work with though, so if anyone has one, I would be grateful.
Thanks

Charles

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:30 pm

I've got a full 1.3 engine that I took out of my Samurai.

It seemed okay when removed, I just got the chance of the 1.5, 16V :lol:

It's still connected to a 5 speed box as well if you want the full package.

I'm going laning tomorrow, but can send you a pic later tomorrow if interested.
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Charlesb
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Charlesb » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:57 pm

I would definitely be interested in the engine, my gearbox is fine at the moment, but always useful to have a spare.

Thanks
Last edited by Charlesb on Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:29 am

Im no longer in that region but if there is any damage to the block i know a chap in Scarborough who has two brand new never built up 413 blocks i can set you in contact with if you needed.
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

Charlesb
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Charlesb » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:50 pm

Well, pulled the engine out, and it's what I suspected, thrown a conrod. The block has some good size chunks out the base of the cylinder, and the big end bearing face is beyond grinding. So Definitely interested in a whole engine if it's available Ladaman, thanks for the offer of the info on the block Tim, but I think I will need a crankshaft as well, and there is a load of metal debris, so bound to have damaged other parts as well.
Attachments
Engine.jpg
Engine.jpg (85.44 KiB) Viewed 8037 times

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:11 pm

Where you at bud?

I have complete engines I'm prepared to part with in Darlington.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Charlesb
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Charlesb » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:28 pm

Jordi, I'm not far way up near Hexham, that would be very helpful, Let me know what you want for one.

Regards
Last edited by Charlesb on Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndyD
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by AndyD » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:02 pm

I'm only in Newcastle, and I also have 2x 1.3 engines I would happily part with.
1 has a seized bottom end but the other was running fine before removal (though slightly down on compression).
Between the 2 and parts from yours a good solid engine could easily be built.

I may keep the oil pan and pickup tube off 1 just in case I need it for my 1.6 build, but you can take the rest away for free. I was just going to be scrapping them anyway.