Removing SU Carb, cleaning and replacing.

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Removing SU Carb, cleaning and replacing.

Post by gsommo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:55 pm

I am wanting to get my carb off today and clean it all out and stuff, however my friend just said to me that if I take it apart etc and then go to put it back on then it will be a nightmare for me to get it running properly as it will need to be set up for the fuel engine etc and that taking it apart will like reset everything.

So is it advised to take it off and clean it up or just to leave it alone. The idle is pretty bollocks at the moment and the choke seems to be doing nothing inside the carb so was going to investigate that too.

If I do get it off is it a nightmare to get it back on and working properly or is it ok?

Thanks

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: Removing SU Carb, cleaning and replacing.

Post by Henry » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi

I have played and played and played with my carb for hours trying to get it right. I managed to get it under the emmsions to pass the mot, and then it wouldnt run again! :roll:

Now its running just above the emmisions, however it idles smoothly at 900 RPM, the choke works how it is mean to, and there is loads of power and will rev around the clock!

If you dont fancy stripping it down and rebuilding, try some carb cleaner, change of air filer and fuel filter. If you have just bought the truck i would recommend a complete service too.

If you do want to strip it down, try these for parts (or a strip down service) http://www.burlen.co.uk/

What engine are you running? standard 1L 1.3L or a 1.6 or different? Its important to have the right carb for the job.

Henry

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:54 pm

Oh yeah and setting it is pretty simple....

Only 2 screws... one for idle and one for mixture... you carnt go wrong :twisted:

gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gsommo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:53 pm

Stripped it down completely this evening which was fun, i was checking for any crud or damage etc but it looks new inside. I bought the service pack from those burlen folk for 30 quid so think it is getting a proper overhaul when that arrives.

Anything to look out for inside the carb?? Oh and also the SU carb yeh, it has an oil well at the top right?? This is like a bell and it come off, it has a cylinder inside of it that the needle is coming out of and this cylinder moves up and down, I presume the oil above acting as lubricant. However what is this for? What oil do I need to fill it again and how much?? I also can spin this cylinder that the pin is coming out of and it makes a sort of scraping noise, is this meant to happen do you know?

I dont think I have been very clear, I have photos that I will put on later tonight.

Cheers

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:48 pm

When you accelerate the piston with the pin in it moves up. The pin alters either fuel or air flow i carnt remember.

You need proper dash pot oil, and i fill mine to the top

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:35 am

you can also change the needle wich helps, its a realy easy job. i got 1 from rhino ray just phone him and say wot carb youve got and you want to change the needle
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gsommo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:04 am

So why would I want to change the needle?

Also I have cleaned it all out using petrol, is this ok? Are there any No No's when it comes to cleaning it out etc?

Im also not sure about the gaskets etc, should I be using some sort of sealant stuff or grease along with the gaskets?

Grease around some of the parts on the carb?

Also the washers that grip round the bolt these dont come off and and go back on easily, so do i need to replace these?

Sorry for all the questions, just that i am going to rebuild today so want to get hold of lots of info.

Thanks

Hatty
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Hatty » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:28 am

gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gsommo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:06 pm

Pretty good, they say nothing about greasing or what to clean it with etc? So i guess grease is not required but cleaning fluid? petrol?

Pugsley
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Pugsley » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:20 pm

gsommo wrote:Stripped it down completely this evening which was fun, i was checking for any crud or damage etc but it looks new inside. I bought the service pack from those burlen folk for 30 quid so think it is getting a proper overhaul when that arrives.

Anything to look out for inside the carb?? Oh and also the SU carb yeh, it has an oil well at the top right?? This is like a bell and it come off, it has a cylinder inside of it that the needle is coming out of and this cylinder moves up and down, I presume the oil above acting as lubricant. However what is this for? What oil do I need to fill it again and how much?? I also can spin this cylinder that the pin is coming out of and it makes a sort of scraping noise, is this meant to happen do you know?

I dont think I have been very clear, I have photos that I will put on later tonight.

Cheers
The purpose of the oil held in the cylinder above the piston is to act as a damper to prevent rapid fluctuation of the piston and to prevent it from rising too much or too soon when accelerating. The normal oil to use is a 20W grade filled to about 0.5 inch below the top of the cylinder. Personally I use a light general purpose oil such as 3 in 1 or Redex. When you fit the needle back to the piston make sure that the shoulder of the needle is flush with the piston face before doing up the securing screw on the side - also make sure that the needle is not bent and that the piston is free to move up and down with the cover fitted over it.