anus Wagoneer springs what are your thoughts?

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
zukenstein
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

anus Wagoneer springs what are your thoughts?

Post by zukenstein » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:15 am

I understand that heep YJ springs are 44 inches long is that right? I have 4 front springs that came off a Wagoneer these are 47 inches long do you think it will be possible to fit these? Anyone done it?

I don't want to do any chassis cutting welding just bolt on. Am ok with missing links

What do you think?
Zuk·en·stein - A monster made from parts of cadavers and brought to life by the power of an electrical charge.

What the fool cannot understand he laughs at, thinking that by his laughter he shows superiority instead of latent idiocy.

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: anus Wagoneer springs what are your thoughts?

Post by Ladaman » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:38 am

Have a look through this thread I started.

http://forum.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/vi ... =15&t=9249

I've got YJ's on the front and Nissan Navara on the rear. There is mention of spring sizes on page 2.

All bolt on with missing links front and rear. It seems to be working OK, but only got it finished yesterday :shock:

The longer Navara springs are a bit of a problem due to over hang. Not too bad on the rear, but springs of that length I'd imagine would be a bigger problem on the front, due to them being shorter in the first place.

I've probably got a little more poking out front and rear to the other YJ runners, as I was trying to extend the wheelbase a little, so the bolt centres for the springs at the chassis end aren't as far apart as other seem to do them.

Have a read, and if you need more details or pics just ask. :thumbup:
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

zukenstein
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by zukenstein » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:37 am

Thanks for that.

Actually I have just found a really good chart of sizes through a link on pirate4x4 here:http://littlekeylime.com/MrN/mrnimages/leaf_springs.png

That might be one to add to this sites information.

Looking at these measurements the Waggy springs are only 1 and 5/8 inches bigger. So one side from centre pin to eye is about the same as the YJs and the other is slightly longer. So I may be able to push my axle forward 1 and 1/2 inches and clear the bulkhead so I don't have to cut it, hmmm (sorry old person still work in inches) :D

Would I be able to take that up in the missing link/shackle set up on the front???

Thoughts?
Zuk·en·stein - A monster made from parts of cadavers and brought to life by the power of an electrical charge.

What the fool cannot understand he laughs at, thinking that by his laughter he shows superiority instead of latent idiocy.

zukenstein
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by zukenstein » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:44 am

This is what I have with the RUF set up I have now

I reckon that do-able do you?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:14 pm

Wagoneer springs are very long so you will probably have to make new front and rear mounts, tbh on the front I think YJs are about the maximum length you would want to use.

I run 33s and the YJs are mounted 1" further back than most conversions with the perches redrilled to maximise the approach angle yet I have dug my shackles in a few times on steep climbs and descents.

Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

zukenstein
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by zukenstein » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:28 pm

Yes being SPUA reduces approach angle as well. The measurement from the perch pin to the front spring eye is pretty much the same on both types.

Probably best to just offer it up and see what it looks like.

Thanks for your thoughts.

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:04 pm

I'v got YJ's on mine aswell. I went for the bolt on kit from rockyroad as my fabrication skills are quite poor :lol:

86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

zukenstein
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by zukenstein » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:52 pm

Thanks Ferris Would it be possible to measure where I've marked on your pics please Bit of a cheek I know, but it would be nice to know where they position them :thumbup:

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:17 pm

Ah I didn't realise waggy springs had the offset pin, still 3" more total length to squeeze in though so it will involve more fab work.

The chassis spring mount on ferris's kit is about 4" back from the original mount, like mine is and iirc the shackle hanger is around 2" forwards, prob best for ferris to double check.

At a guess with waggy's you will have to make this mount around 6" back from the original mount to get the same approach angle as me on 33s this could be interesting to fabricate as I wouldn't like that amount of leverage on the original spring mount, would deffo need to attach it to the chassis further back to stop any chance of movement.

My spring perches and plates are redrilled 1" back to move the front axle forwards by that amount.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

zukenstein
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by zukenstein » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:27 pm

Yes thats what I was thinking attach it to the original spring mounts but also attach it saddle like around the chassis further back and clamp/bolt/fix it somehow. Just letting the old brain stew on it in the background