Suzuki SJ413 build, Scotland.

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Suzuki SJ413 build, Scotland.

Post by gsommo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:49 am

Alo hoover how did you post pictures into your post as opposed to an attachment?

chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:07 am

hi there gsommo!

im not to sure about the steering arm but someone will know!

yeah looks like those arches are quite bad haha. theres lots of options for arches around! i personally like henry the hoovers sammi arches but as he said they can rip off if you slide into a tree ect lol. but metal ones are more likely to take/bend your panels if you scrap them along a muddy rocky ditch!

are you going for looks or practically?

you could also use an oil drum barrel. really easy to get hold of and cheap!

on my zook the bloke who had it before me got hold of some steel wheel arches from a trailer. like a car transporter trailer. he then cut them in half to make two arches to weld onto the side of the panel! you could use this method but insted of cutting them in half just slide them through the side of the panel over your rusty holes and weld into place!

heres some pictures of my wheel arches

gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gsommo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:59 am

That is a great shout actually, sliding them through in order in order to create an arch and fill in the rist, obviously i will prep all the body first and then get welding. I have never welded before but think it would be well good fun, so getting one off my friend and will give it a bash.

Think I will head back out to the scrappys at the weekend and try and get hold of a few bits.

My mate just came round and he had spoken to a mechanic at his work who said that he thinks I should take out my SU carb and give it a proper overhaul, clean it all out and stuff in the hope to make it idle better make the choke work properly and maybe control some of the white smoke???? im not sure but surely there is no harm in getting it clean!!!!

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:41 pm

Yes they are bog standard landrover 90/110 arches. I paid £40 for them, but im sure you could get the both cheaper and more expensive!

Be careful when you fit them, you can cut the backbone out of them and they loose there shape... Thats what happened to the rear on mine, i left it to thin and when i hit something it snapped... causing it to hollow on the inside.

gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gsommo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:56 am

Got a few photos the other day of the interior of the car after the dash and stuff had been removed. It looks messy and im worried about reconnecting it all up incase I get it wrong hahaha.

I removed the carb to an took photos so that I remembered where all the hoses etc.

These pictures are not really useful to anyone but may be good for a before and after effect when its al put back.

When i receive my carb service kit I might take some photos of the process too.

Oh and went to an MOT place yesterday (sort of know the guy who does it) and hopefully im going to drive the car to get some bits sorted, lets hope that I make it there in one piece.

gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gsommo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:01 am

Photos here.
Attachments
IMG_0708.jpg
IMG_0708.jpg (64.51 KiB) Viewed 9627 times
IMG_0709.jpg
IMG_0709.jpg (73.29 KiB) Viewed 9627 times
IMG_0725.jpg
IMG_0725.jpg (53.46 KiB) Viewed 9631 times

gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gsommo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:02 am

I want to be able to add large photos during the text, how do i go about doing that??

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:23 pm

if they are already on the internet you use the Img button at the top during your post so you would go
[img.][/img.] with out the full stops
and then you put the image address in between so
[img.]http://www.evzsgarage.esmartdesign.com/9863.jpg[/img.]
with out the full stops and voila.......

as for your steering box, remove the lid on the top and see if there is any oil in it, the seals arent repalceable in the box so your best bet is to fill it up with some of that landrover 'one shot swivel housing grease' it is solid like grease but softer and more like a liquid,

Luke

gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gsommo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:50 pm

So today I went to do some work on my car. Took my new starter motor (wel second hand £15) and took down my reconditioned carb. Attached them both sorted out a bit of wiring as the dash is off so its like spaghetti. Fired her up and nothing happened. Pulled on the choke, fired it again and started straight away. I was well happy.

The idle was a little dodge but not to bad and when I lowered the choke to the bottom the car sounded like it was about to die.

I turned the car off and fiddled with the screw that leads into the sump where the fuel float is. Tried to start her up again and it jsut would not go. I kept on trying to turn it over but nothing was happening (trying to go but just not). There was then a small ploom of smoke coming from underneath the carb and a small whining sound (was weird), I think some oil or fuel dripped onto some wiring and created the smoke (I hope that I have not damaged it). Any ideas?

I then kept on trying, it sounded like it was turning over fine, however sounded like it was not firing at all (no fuel or something).

I was in the process of taking the carb apart again, changed a few more parts in it (as i thought that it was potentiall leaking a bit of fuel).

Has anybody got any idea what is going on with this and if so what do I do and then how do I set up my engine bay properly.

it is just so annoying as it started up straight away and then it would just not go at all which confused me alot.

I guess it was sounding like the choke was not working (even though it was on full) like the first time when i tried to fire her up with no choke at all.

chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chan » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:42 pm

if you have a mate to help you, take one ht lead off the spark plug end and get him/her to turn it over and see if you have spark. ive never used rebuilt an su carb so maybe someone who has can help you but check the simple things first! fuel/spark. also check no fuses have blown on the fuse board. as your dash is out the wiring may have fallen out of a plug on the fuse board as the loom is loose!

cheers