Suzuki SJ413 build, Scotland.

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Suzuki SJ413 build, Scotland.

Post by ROBBIE » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:50 pm

hello nice lookin truck keep up the good work :P as for the ocd yer i think you are :lol: but aint we all, i know i am i do own an sj :mrgreen:
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gsommo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:31 pm

Cheers Robbie, good to see that I am not the only one.

gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gsommo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:54 pm

What would be the best solution for the rust on my rear arches?

I had to strip out a whole lot of expanda foam and discovered this. Basically the tyres on the car stick out way over the arches and this is something that I need to cover up in order to pass an MOT. I have access to a welder and want to do it myself but am not sure of the best method and what will look the best in terms of after market/ fabricated arches. Metal or plastic?

I know that fitting plastic biits after repair work is the easiest option (or so i think) but would metal ones fabricated then painted loook better or what? The rust is on both side at rear but I guess I need to do something with the front anyway to make stickie out tyres road legal.

I was also speaking to chan about steering gearbox leaking (see other photo) anyone had this problem and if so got any ideas what it could be (im thinking that its just a dud seal or something).

Cheers
Attachments
image2-2.jpg
image2-2.jpg (141.73 KiB) Viewed 9697 times
image1-2.jpg
image1-2.jpg (138.88 KiB) Viewed 9697 times

Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Edweird » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:06 pm

That's quite a hole. You'll have to weld something into the void.

Have you considered looking for Samurai wheel arch flares, or are they not big enough?
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gsommo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:10 pm

Probably not big enough as the wheels do receed out a fair old bit. I think I might just fabricate some simple ones out of metal and spray them etc, but i might come across something in my local breakers yard.

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:11 pm

They always go there... that one isnt too bad. last one i did had no arch at all... completely gone :cry:

With regards to wheels, it will pass an MOT with them sticking out past the arches, but if you get pulled you could get a caution ect.

Have you considered... landy wheel arches, standard arch extensions (old bin, conveyer belt ect)

Henry

gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gsommo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:25 pm

Yeh I mean all i want is an arch that covers them. Cheers for the heads up that it is not required for MOT too. But something eventually to cover them up and that look pretty cool.

The idea of coloured arches is appealing to me in terms of look, but will prob be more expensive and time consuming. Also I just dont know where to get hold of arches etc. New, used? Cant find much on forums ebay etc.

Cheers

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:29 pm

Another possibly failure on my inexperienced part, but what about looking for a scrapped Wrangler? They often have big arches. If you found one or two, I'm sure you could do a cut and shut job in putting them on. Only issue is Wranglers are uncommon in the UK, I think.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:30 pm

If your after standard sammy arches then i have a few sets around the place. They are quite handy to keep as spares incase i rip one off ect.

I painted mine black just because i think they look better :roll: :lol:

These where the Landy ones i did. The fronts are how they should be done but the rears are a little bent and buckled... bloody trees :twisted:

gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gsommo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:44 pm

Wrangler arches is a good idea but as you say you never see those cars around, even at the massive breakers yard today there where none. Oh and I never new how much fun breakers yards where, just let you loose around thousands of cars with your tool kit ripping off whatever you want. Its like a supermarket, take it to the till and pay. Job done ha.

I read one guy used old metal lorry arches halved then welded on, was pretty cool.

Hoover, those arches look good, might keep an eye out for a set of those. So those big arches are standard ones are they? they look pretty large.

How much are they for a set of 4 would you say?