Anton's build

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Anton's build

Post by Anton » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:06 pm

Got to get an airbox.

Once I have an MOT, I can sort out stuff like that.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:19 pm

It's better vented to atmosphere for the time being than blocked though.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Anton

Post by Anton » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:43 pm

Chris has been nudging me to unblock it too.

I'm not sure why it was blocked off in the first place - I didn't block it off.

Ok, I'll unblock it tomorrow, then see how she runs.

Found out tonight that my drivers side indicators and sidelights have stopped working, and my indicator stalk is now crazy difficult to get to indicate left (indicates right ok). Pretty sure the lights are just in need of their earth re-doing.

Then I'm going to shove the rear wheels back on and it's MOT time.

:shock:
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

Anton

Post by Anton » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:40 pm

Unblocked the crankcase vent, ran ok so I left it.

Now...

Click Here for Youtube Video

I can't enrichen the mix any more, it's as rich as it goes! And the revs won't drop below about 1200, no matter what I do with the idle screw (I can get it to idle above 1200, but I can't get it below that).

If I lean the mix off enough, I can get the revs to drop - but I think I may already be running too lean anyway. When I lean it off (even slightly) the revs drop immediately if I touch the piston.

Currently running the "BDL" needle - too late to swap it out, so I drove it down to the MOT station and it's in there now.

We'll see what happens. If it doesn't pass, I'm going to ask them if they can try tuning it a bit. I may swap to the other needle if I can't get it to tune right.

Just got my fingers crossed that it's going to pass as it is - perhaps it doesn't need any further tuning!

But you lot might be able to tell from that vid...?

Edit: It's got the BDL in it at the moment, I just checked my box of bits and the BDK is in the box.

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:43 pm

Are you running a 1.3 or 1.6 i cant remember? I read somewhere that you need the BDL for the 1.3 and ideally a BFM for a 1.6. I've had all hell on with my SU but its running a bit better now just by bring the needle out to the recommended height, so the little bit that rises sits flush with the bottom of the chamber body, then went for a drive, if it felt wrong i went in by 1/4 turn richer, went for a drive, then lather, rinse, repeat as desired till it felt right.

I can imagine that doesnt help at all, but its nice to get the post count up every so often!
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

Anton

Post by Anton » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:58 pm

timwilks13 wrote:Are you running a 1.3 or 1.6 i cant remember? I read somewhere that you need the BDL for the 1.3 and ideally a BFM for a 1.6.
1.3 mate, hence the BDL needle. If I swap in another engine, it'll either be an M15a like Ladaman, or a J20a like Scottie.
timwilks13 wrote:I can imagine that doesnt help at all, but its nice to get the post count up every so often!
:lol:

Anton

Post by Anton » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:30 pm

Failed, but this time only on emissions. They didn't say by how much etc.

The garage is going to try to have a look at tuning it a bit tomorrow. If they can't get the emissions down, I'll buy a gunson gastester digital and spend a few days playing with the carb until I get it right.

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:39 pm

Not tooooooooo bad I suppose.

I'm sure they will be able to sort it for you for a few additional quid.

Maybe sorted for tomorrow?
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:16 pm

has your throttle disc got a spring valve in it?
they can be a pain in the arse when tuning, and could explain the higher revs?
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Anton

Post by Anton » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:46 pm

The MOT centre couldn't find the mixture screw on the SU, and declared it set and untuneable. Ho-hum.

It's at 6, need to get it below 3.5 - I know that most of you who run SUs have to go below 2.5, so it should be do-able.

Gonna buy a Gunton gastester digital and try tuning it myself. Might have the needle set wrongly? Or maybe I need to try the other needle.

I'm also wondering if the timing might need doing...

Although wouldn't that result in it running badly before showing up as high emissions?

Either way, it should be another couple of days before its running properly.