Suzuki SJ413 build, Scotland.

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Suzuki SJ413 build, Scotland.

Post by gsommo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:35 pm

Hello there,

So I bought my SJ a couple of weeks ago after looking for ages. I have it off the road and am now going to try and refurb it, make everything work properly mechanically and in the end it will hopefully be a good looking and capable machine.

I am wanting to try and make it road worthy as soon as I can as I want to use it for work and dont want to get my other car messy inside after this I want to get it looking a little more ship shape.

I will no doubt need lots of advice from you guys since I am new to the game and am not entirely sure of what to do, however I am super keen to learn and am going to try and do most of the stuff myself.

Anyway I only have 2 photos at the moment and they are not really meant as a way to inspect the mechanical integrity of the car as they are HDR photos that my friend took, however they look quite cool. Lots more on the way and I hope to keep this well updated on my progress.

Help and advice would be great from anybody that has an input as I am never sure of what to do next (once I get the proper photos up you will all be able to see what I am up against).

Thanks for reading.
Attachments
image1-1.jpg
image1-1.jpg (83.57 KiB) Viewed 11342 times
image2-1.jpg
image2-1.jpg (163.19 KiB) Viewed 11347 times

chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Suzuki SJ413 build, Scotland.

Post by chan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:00 am

now thats a nice looking truck there mate!

are you going to do any suspension mods? like SPOA and loose the shackles?

hope you get get it running!

keep us updated im looking forward to see how his truck turns out!

gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gsommo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:59 am

I swear that the picture does it mroe justice than it deserves hahaha, im going to work on it today, might do a bit of stripping out so will get some more photos and post them up.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:22 pm

that looks alright that does! I love that effect, how can i get some pictures of my truck done like that?

Scott
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:42 pm

NIce truck

Personally i would loose the "Fangs". these are the large lift shackles... they are more ball ache than they are worth bending your springs and throwing your steering geometry out.

What size tires are they? I would stay with them as they look to be in good condition and fairly new, and just lift the car to suit.

SPOA would be an overkill IMHO. Only a few inches it would need to make it look and sit right.

Henry

d86
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by d86 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:04 pm

here you go scott,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

have a read,

tony :P

gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gsommo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:30 pm

Hi all,

D86 good job with the link, that should tell all. The pictures are pretty cool though, hope to get more of the same and other normal pics up too.

I have heard from many that the shackles are bad news and I do want to get rod of them eventually. If i was to and change to something else to give me lift what kind of lift kit would I need or should i go for and how much would it cost roughly?

So today I ripped all the dash and stuff out as it was totally mancky and I want to get the interior looking a little better. I brought it home as well as my grill and gave the lot a proper clean and polish to get it all looking mint. I was actually so surprised how nice it all came up. I stripped the dash completely down including all the pipes etc for the heater and stuff and its now looking as good as new. Used wd40 to clean it all including the plastics and it worked a treat, I recommend. Im sure that some of you will say "oh its an ofrroader and it should be dirty in and out etc", but I want to use it for work (fair enough my work requires me getting a little dirty) but I still fancy making it all look really good (think I have OCD when it comes to this hahaha)

I got the car going today too, after reconditioning my starter motor and putting it back in, it would turn nicely however would not engage, so I am thinking that the solenoid is buggered as the cog at the end of the solenoid is not getting pushed out far enough to contact the flywheel. Does anyone have a fix for this or is it new starter time? new solenoid? (if so where can i get just the solenoid part?) Advice needed on that one. To get it going today I just bumped it.

Problem with wiring is fixed, I put the terminals on the wrong way round the other day after getting myself confused and so melted a few wires, replaced these with good bits of wire that I found in my shed and all is well today, all electrics seem to work ok (few dodgy bits like indicators etc, but can solve them at another time)

Idle on the motor is a little dodgy and Im not quite sure how to fix this, do I adjust the throttle cable or what? ( choke is looking a little useless on the carb, as it does not touch the bolt even when choke fully out, so not sure what to do with this either).

The engine when it is trying to idle with a little help from me seems to be moving around an awful lot (juddering but a fair ammount i think), is this normal or does this mean something is wrong? If so is there a fix? I dont think this was helped by the fact that when the car was in neutral and I slowly took clutch off, it seemed as though it was still slightly engaged, engine revs dropped when taking it off which made me think that it was still engaged, this seems like a problem, because 1 other cars dont do it and also if idle is set to revs when clutch is off when cluched is pressed surely revs will jump up a little. this may be an old car thing I am not sure.

Bit of white smoke from exhaust at all times too, more when revved?

Sorry for the total essay, just wanted to try and get all my thoughts out of my head lol, ill try to keep it brief as possible next time.

Thanks for reading, input would be grateful.

Cheers

chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:31 am

nice one for stripping it all down inside and behind the dash! i have done exactly the same with mine and it looks nearly new lol i am also going to use my zuk for work :P

the best way to lift the truck is a SPOA conversion heres the guide so you can see what it entails

http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=174 the link is from difflock.com

im not sure about the starter motor mate but someone will share there knowledge with you!

as for the clutch i also have this problem mate. it shouldnt do this but i know the clutch is fine but i didnt change the throwout bearing or pilot so it could be this.
i tend to put the transfer box into neutral when i fire her up!

you can adjust the clutch really easily but if its being disengaged it will wear down very quick because it will be slipping slighty so id say leave it for now until someone can advise you and me about that!

glad you got the wiring sorted! as for the indicators check on the fuse board (passenger foot well) there should be two wires with plastic coated spades make sure they are on and secure! one of these is your earth to the indicators i believe.

an engine mount may have broken best way to check this is get a large bar like a crowbar and on n/s of the engine bay wedge it between the engine mount and chassis and check for excessive movement im talking like 10mm and upwards!

well sorry to say it but sounds like your valve stem oil seals have worn and/or your piston rings are worn.
how many miles are on the engine and is it correct? got mots and stuff to back it up?
if you havent changed the oil and filter yet or dont have definate proof that its been changed, do it now! make sure you use the right oil.

thanks. once again thats one nice truck!

gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gsommo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:06 pm

Ill have a look at all the stuff that you mentioned. Its an 87 with 78 thousand on the clock, no docs to back that up but im not to bothered. Ill check to see what is broken and get it fixed up.

If engine mount is broken, is it a hard fix or not to bad, im presuming replace mount which is a lump of metal right?

you speak of valve stem oil seals? What are these, and where are they located? hard to replace?

Oil and filter have not been changed yet. Can this be the cause of smoke, there seems to be to much oil in the engine anyway, way over the second dot (which i thought was the maximum marker), so could this be the issue? If so ill drain oil and put filter on and change the oil, I have already bought this so its all good.

I took some pictures of my clean dash, no one will prob be interested and probs call me stupid for wasting my time, but oh well, what else is there to do on a Tuesday night hahaha.
Attachments
IMG_0702.jpg
IMG_0702.jpg (40.31 KiB) Viewed 11250 times
IMG_0704.jpg
IMG_0704.jpg (46.86 KiB) Viewed 11257 times
IMG_0705.jpg
IMG_0705.jpg (44.29 KiB) Viewed 11256 times

gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gsommo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:07 pm

Some more photos from my cleaning session ha.
Attachments
IMG_0705.jpg
IMG_0705.jpg (44.29 KiB) Viewed 11234 times
IMG_0707.jpg
IMG_0707.jpg (45.75 KiB) Viewed 11236 times
IMG_0701.jpg
IMG_0701.jpg (41.06 KiB) Viewed 11241 times