leaking axle and prop spacers, need some advice please

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

leaking axle and prop spacers, need some advice please

Post by chan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:53 pm

hi there, needed to sort these problems out but its off the road at the moment so i haven't bothered!

i dont really know what they are called but i know they should be clean with no rust like the ones on my brothers range rover.
the king pin bearings have been replace by the previous owner or thats what he told me but i wouldnt trust it.

what do i need to go about rebuilding a front sj410 and a rear axle?
and how much is it?
im also in need of some prop spacers does anyone use a certain type or make? and how much should i pay for a pair of 1 inch spacers roughly?

thanks

heres the pictures:

Pugsley
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: leaking axle and prop spacers, need some advice please

Post by Pugsley » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:25 pm

Chan

I've just spent about an hour looking on Difflock trying to find two threads about overhauling front and rear axles on an SJ. I can tell you that the rear axle thread is readily accessible on the Forum first page under "Suzuki" - it's entitled "How to guide - rear wheel wheel bearings". Have a look.

There is also a good guide which someone has written about overhauling the front axle but for the life of me I just can't find it - I have done the front axle on my 410 with no particular problem but it would take ages to write. So - I've put a message on Difflock asking if any members can guide me on where this info is - I'll let you know when I get something. Going back to the rear axle info I've referred to on Difflock, the photo's show a vehicle which has been converted to rear disc brakes but I assume you can work your way through dismantling the standard drum brake set up.

Two quick suggestions - use a digital camera to take pictures of for example - the drum brake assembly before you dismantle it (we all think we can remember how it should go back together) and try and borrow a 50 mm socket which you will need for the front wheel bearing removal and refitting.

That's as far as I can go I'm afraid.

Ian

chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:32 pm

thanks for your time mate, really sorry i didnt think of difflock i will have to become a member and use that for technical solutions!

i will look at it tonight and look for the front one!

ive got a rear disc conversion to fit thats why i want my axles to be top notch! 8-)

thanks for the tips mate

much appreciated!

edit: just found a 50mm socket in my grandads old tool box thats been sitting in the corner of the garage for about 40 years!

i will whip the back axle of tomorrow and see what condition my bearing and seals are in :(

thanks once again mate

Pugsley
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Pugsley » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:57 pm

Chan

I haven't given up - meanwhile where are you located in the country.

Ian

chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:13 am

hi thanks mate you really dont have to go so much trouble for me!
but thanks alot!

im very competent i just want to see what goes where and what to look for if something is severely worn

im in the south east, kent

i will sign up to the difflock forum when i get time

thanks again mate

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:53 am

the swivels on a suzuki are always like the one in the first pic as you do not fill the swivel houses with oil like you do on a landrover axle, they should be 'dry' however it looks like one of the seals has failed on the side with the gunk oozing out of it. has the wehhel bearing got any play in it or does it sound rough as the bearing going can lead to a seal failing.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:28 pm

in this image it is probably the seal number 9 that has failed and causing your leak :mrgreen:

here is the front wheel bearing guide, however it's not that great and doesn't mention the bearing seal (NO6 in pic), you should fit the inner bearing to the hub and then fit the seal before fitting the hub to the stub axle because the bearing will not fit through the middle of the seal.

http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php ... hlight=hub

oh and i would fit a prop spacer if i was you! :mrgreen:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:55 pm

i see well ill have a look at the axle this week!

thanks very much mate! cheers

ps. will get the money sorted for the crankshaft pulley as soon as i get time mate

cheers