'EPIC TREK' suspension kit

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
trotter
Winching along now
Winching along now

Re: 'EPIC TREK' suspension kit

Post by trotter » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:32 pm

which would also invalidate your insurance
if in doubt, FLAT OUT!

mans tool kit > duct tape, wd40 and a bfh is all you ever need

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:21 pm

trotter wrote:which would also invalidate your insurance
My point exactly. Which is an automatic 6 points, and (if you've been in an accident) possibly even charges - reckless endangerment, vehicular manslaughter etc.

I know that sounds far-fetched, but it's actually possible under UK law. Now, I don't think anyone on here (even Scottie or Mike) has modded their trucks enough that they need to worry about declaring the mods to the DVLA, but changing from leafs to coils would probably do it.

That's why if I ever do swap from springs to coils (and I've been thinking about it for a while now) I would make spring perches that can take leafs *or* coils, use the inner leaf spring mounts on the chassis for the trailing arms, and that way I could swap between coils and leafs by the roadside.

That way, I can go down to the VOSA station on leafs, with a couple of hours to spare, swap to coils in the car park, get the inspection done and if they don't sign off, swap back to leafs and drive home *legally*.

The triangulated upper wishbone would act as a bam bar/anti-wrap bar while on leafs. And be connected to a crossmember that I'm allowed to add under the rules - so they can't complain about it being there when I'm on leafs.

Because it's all bolt-on, VOSA shouldn't have a problem with any of it. But if they do, find out what they don't like, unbolt it, go back to "stock" and drive home.

An inspection report by a garage or the AA would also help, or so my (potentially faulty) memory of the rules says. If the AA says it's safe, then VOSA will be much more likely to sign off.

A photographic build diary is *ESSENTIAL* if you want to get your vehicle checked under the 8 point system. Receipts for parts, too.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Rhinoman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Rhinoman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:27 pm

Just trailer it to VOSA.
2006 Jimny JLX+ 1.3 VVT
2000 Vitara 4u2 - Calmini 3+3, 33" MTs, 5:83 R&Ps, winch bumper, remapped ECU.
1986 Suzuki SJ413K - G16 conversion
1984 Suzuki SJ410 - Blitz

Anton

Post by Anton » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:48 pm

Rhinoman wrote:Just trailer it to VOSA.
The only trailer I have access to is too heavy for my tow vehicle, so I'd be breaking the law if I did that. VOSA are likely to notice too...
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map