Brakes seizing on help.

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
Ant161
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Brakes seizing on help.

Post by Ant161 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:40 pm

Hi Guys
I've just brought a e reg tin top. Went out the other day and the off side front stuck on. After about 15 munites it let go so I could get it to a pals with kit. We undid the bleed nipple and pushed the pads back then crimped the brake line with some mole grips to get me home (about 10 miles).
All was going well until about 3 miles away from home when the near side caliper started to seize on.
Now I'm no mechanic but this kind of tells me there was something else was wrong.
Today I took both calipers off, off side piston went back slightly, near side would not budge. So I undid the flexible break line from the copper break line to eliminate the flex and it still would not budge. So I then took banjo off and still no joy.
I think both calipers need a re build but I can't help think there is something else. A pal mentioned a 6 way valve????
Also can you get a master cylinder re build kit.
Sorry to go on cheers guys.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Brakes seizing on help.

Post by Jordi » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:48 pm

Sounds like they need a good service / rebuild.

Brakes international do a very good caliper kit including seals and sliders, about £25 a side. They also sell pistons. Seals only kits can found for about £25 for both sides, think that is from Big Redd.

Is your master cylinder knackered or just leaking fluid from the bottom of the reservoir? I got a reservoir seal kit from Suzuki for a few quid.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Ant161
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Ant161 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:56 pm

That's great thanks. Master cylinder has no leaks I just thought a re build kit would help the situation.
Will brakes international know what kit I need just from the year of my sj?

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:04 pm

Ant161 wrote:That's great thanks. Master cylinder has no leaks I just thought a re build kit would help the situation.
Will brakes international know what kit I need just from the year of my sj?
There are only two types of caliper yours is probably a Japanese Samurai with Aisin calipers.

Other type are Spanish Lucas, I think.

Can't find my photos of them right now, sure the Aisin calipers have it cast in them.

Brakes international should be able to tell you which you need.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Darrell » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:16 pm

I'm afraid seizing pistons if very common with the aisin calipers. A strip and clean normally sorts it and new seals is a good idea. I have cleaned the piston up nicely with wire wool and WD 40. It doesn't need much for them to seize up. Mine stuck so badly the only way I could remove the piston was to pump the brakes with the pads out and caliper over a bucket, until they popped out :oops:

This will show the caliper types.
Attachments
Aisin-Girling @ Brakesinternational.jpg
Aisin-Girling @ Brakesinternational.jpg (227.75 KiB) Viewed 6523 times
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:25 pm

Ha ha, the old over a bucket method. I usually it but normally forget the bucket.

Ant161
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Ant161 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:28 pm

That's great thanks guys.

Ant161
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Ant161 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:01 pm

Hey guys just a quick update.
I brought a pair of caliper re build kit and fitted them on Friday. It turns out my car has 54mm pistons which the guy at biggred thought were vitara brakes. They move nice and smoothly now.
I fitted new flexi brake lines, bled the system.
I then pumped the brakes up pedal felt good. Got out tried to move the wheel and both fronts are locked on solid. Arrrrrrghhh so after kicking a few things I then thought it must be the master cylinder. So I went to my other sj which has the same master cylinder put that one on the car and it's still the same.
The only thing I can think of now is the valve that the master cylinder feeds ( a friend called this a 6 way valve ). It is not in the haynes and as I don't know the actual name for it I can't try to find one.
Any help would be great as I don't know which way to go. Cheers.

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:59 pm

Not trying to be funny but have you looked to see if there might be something getting jammed up
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:06 pm

have you checked all the metal brake pipes to make sure they haven't been damaged?
did you crimp the metal pipe with mull grips and not replace it? sounds like a stupid mistake but its something I would probably do ;)
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."