Power steering questions!

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Power steering questions!

Post by timwilks13 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:14 pm

Picking up my vitara power steering block and pump on saturday morning, though i would ask about a few things i can sort in the mean time.

1) the pipes have been cut so need re making, have people done this themselves? and if so what did you use? any advice on fittings etc would be good!

2) ill need the pulley that powers the pump, if the guy lets me have his im sorted and can just weld it onto my current alternator/water pump pulley, but if he wont has anyone got a spare vitara pulley?

and 3) how much of the block will just mount straight up and how much bracket fiddling/making/ruining will i have to do?

any help would be grand thanks!
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Power steering questions!

Post by Jordi » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:00 pm

You'll need to make a wedge to fit the box. There is a diagram on here somewhere.

I had a custom flexi hi pressure pipe made, any suitable hose can be used for the low pressure pipes.

Low pressure pipe is reservoir to pump and steering box to reservoir. Mine is a mix and match of original pipes and flexi pipe fixed with jubilee clips.

The hi pressure pipe, pump to PAS box is a custom flexi pipe using the original banjos compression fitted onto hi pressure hydraulic hose. PRICE FOR THIS VARIES WILDLY!
Last edited by Jordi on Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here

Post by turbo-tom » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:03 pm

for the pas pipes best to leave it to the professionals I think Jordi knows a firm that makes them up.

i think the pump needs a plated welded to it so it bolts onto the 1.3 block.
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:04 pm

1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:06 pm

For the pipes I just used the original vit ones. on the high pressure pipe, I unbolted the union on the steel section that runs along the front crossmember cut it down to length and then re-flared it using a flaring tool then bolted it back together. Saves buying any new pipe work.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:28 pm

I had jimny pipes and found they were completely the wrong shape. Gonna reroute them again when the 410 front end gets fitted.

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:17 pm

Cheers guys, sounds like this could be an interesting challenge! What did you all do about the pulley for the pump, does the double vitara one fit on an sj or do you just weld one flush to the pulley on the crank shaft?

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:28 am

If you use the vitara bottom pulley it needs redrilling as it is 5stud, SJ is only 4stud. Alternator pulley also needs.changing to a multi v belt.

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:32 pm

that link you put up Jordi, thats for mounting the steering box right? whats the deal with mounting the pump to the engine? does that bolt up or is that a bracket fabbing job also?

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:08 pm

Most of us have them on 1600s sure it bolts up to the block but you will have to move a radiator bracket.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.