ARB vs KAM vs Lockrite

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
Hodgie812
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: ARB vs KAM vs Lockrite

Post by Hodgie812 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:25 pm

We've got a lockrite in the rear on our vit, only done a few miles on it so far. Difficult to say what the long term effects are going to be, but so far its been driven hard. Fantastic off road, so much more grip, can get places in 2wd (front hubs unlocked to save the diff) that it didn't go previous in 4wd.

On the flip side I had a good giggle to my self when I put the foot down mid corner as I normally do on a hair-pin, it locked up and the front lifted and went straight on. Once you learn not to accelerate hard until your straightend up its loads of fun.
Built with ebay!!!

steve greenc3
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by steve greenc3 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:18 pm

I'm running Samurai 413 with grizzly claws on rear ,rear locrite and fwhubs, interesting drive on wet road"s, but good as gold 99% of the time, I do approx. 60miles a week. Samurai wont/cant corner like a pimped/blinged/lowered/ tinted glass drug dealer special, but then they cant drive/winch themselves"s through foot deep mud! Value for money locrite is the way to go.

4x4rick
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by 4x4rick » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:53 pm

I had both lockright and arb

twin lockrights front n rear in scooby resulted in really wide turning circle (2/3 shunts on a tight corner)
yes you could have fwhub's but who is going to jump out and turn them off in a 3 foot bomb/hole
lockrights come in pretty violent and resulted in me twisting the splines on my front shafts
rears were also starting to twist (noted when we upgraded to arb's)

arb's :smokin:
switchable locked/unlocked diff is the dogs danglies . comes in with no fuss
the compressor is pretty poor for other jobs like inflating tyres
im pretty sure the was an upgrade to the airline as they can/use to leak split just inside diff..(thats what im remembering)..

kams ive no experience of
unless its different now, kams can only be fitted in the rear/diff
zuk axle has to be extensively modded for them to be fitted
your axle has to be dead straight for them to work..engage/disengage
(and zuk axles are so strong :roll: )
look up paul's silverzuk build and see how much work went in to beefing up his axle

R

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:52 am

Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:13 pm

Yes very good video. Not very bias at all being tested by the producers of the advertised product lol.

Explain why in the outback challenge people running suzuki axles are raving about how amazing they are? In Malaysia there going mad for them.

And I am not sure that any of you know but a close fiend of mine smashed an arb the other day, sent back under warrantee and they put it down to poor manafacture.......

£500 with compressor for a pair .....

or £1000 per diff plus £475 for lines, compressor, switchgear. £2500 ish.

You could buy 2 sets and run the risk? I would be tempted but lock rites are just better than them all put together !!

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:16 pm

My diff builder used to work for kam. (Or jam as he calls it !!)

And he was telling me the other day the issues with the suzuki locker, partly due to the locker design, not liking twist, bendy axles ect. Shaft design is frankly shite,

But... If the locker was hydraulic he says it would be amazing, would far supersede an air locker. Not lock rite obviously Because there just awesome.

chrisj410
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by chrisj410 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:29 am

When I man up and fit my arb ill finally know the answer to this,
As ill be running arb in front and spartan in the rear
Cant fault the spartan, easy to install and fawking impressive in the mud

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:40 am

mike harris wrote:Yes very good video. Not very bias at all being tested by the producers of the advertised product lol.

Explain why in the outback challenge people running suzuki axles are raving about how amazing they are? In Malaysia there going mad for them.

And I am not sure that any of you know but a close fiend of mine smashed an arb the other day, sent back under warrantee and they put it down to poor manafacture.......

£500 with compressor for a pair .....

or £1000 per diff plus £475 for lines, compressor, switchgear. £2500 ish.

You could buy 2 sets and run the risk? I would be tempted but lock rites are just better than them all put together !!

I thought the test was pretty fair. Both tested under the same conditions to the same stresses.

Inevitably the comparison will always come down to price comparison between the two.

I don't thing Chinasoong could produce the same video to show theirs being better given thatthe ARB was perfect and the China Soong was near enough totally destroyed.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:22 pm

Best start saving then. The Chinese diff was destroyed but almost 6500lb of torque is a lot of torque still.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:31 pm

Oh yeah loads.

Gently applied though. Would be less in a working truck when it is getting shock loaded by wheels coming on and off floor etc.