Please Help!

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
Pugsley
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Please Help!

Post by Pugsley » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:46 am

Ben

I sent you a PM last night offering further assistance if need be, if you want me to send you the info referred to in the PM I won't be able to do so until Sunday evening as I'm away from home. Just let me know.

Regards

Ian

ben_moto501
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ben_moto501 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:03 pm

Right... All was well until today! I've done quite a few miles since the trouble and all has been really good although I still have not changed my fuel filter! Today on the way home from work It developed the same problem (just not quite as bad). It doesn't idle or even think about it! As soon as I let off the throttle it dies straight away. When it's running it sounds a bit lumpy, almost like a miss-fire but not quite, and it just won't idle!
Now I forgot to mention when I went for my last off road session, just before all this started, I went through some headlight deep water. This was the first 'deep' water that I have been through and I've got a feeling I might now have water in my fuel tank! Does this sound like a realistic conclusion? Has anyone elso suffered from getting water in the tank? If this turns out to be true where would it get in? Breather? Filler cap? Is there any treatment I need to do to the tank in preperation for deep water driving that I was unaware of before?

Thanks again!

Ben

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:00 am

Hi ben i used to have a weber on my 1.3 and had the same prob, fart about, clean fart about, clean. It started after goin through a ford. Change the filter, open the old 1 up over a small pot so you capture the contens, this way you can see if its contaminated. Also as i said in my previous post check the diaphragms if they are damaged they need to be replaced.
The best advice i can give, from personal experiance, get rid get something else. Webers use to much fuel, dont like extream angles and dont like dirt.
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

ben_moto501
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ben_moto501 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:51 pm

That's a very interesting post! Do you really think the Weber carbs are worth getting rid of? It does pull well (for a 1300) but yes it drinks more fuel than I expected! It has cut out once from an extreme climb! I thought the Weber carbs were good! Would you reccommend the SU carb? Everyone seems to have these so they must be good!

Ben

ROBBIE

Post by ROBBIE » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:41 pm

I was goin to put an su on mine but did the 1.6 conversion instead, the 1.3 died, as i say i had nothing but trouble with the weber even after replacing the diaphragm. IMO the weber is good for road cars where its nice and clean but not for mud.
Rob.
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

ben_moto501
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ben_moto501 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:28 pm

Just thought I would give you all a bit of an update!
I'm pretty sure my problem was caused by water in the carb! I have stripped and rebuilt it with new gaskets and cleaned the whole thing inside and out! I have also put 2 new fuel filters on it... I got rid of the one near the rear diff and instead i have a standard looking one just before the fuel pump, I chose this because it looks like it will make a good water trap as it is a 'sump' type filter if you know which kind I mean. Secondly I got down to my local Halfords and bought the biggest inline filter I could get! It's about the size of a can of coke and I have put this just before the carb and just after the fuel pump! Not only will this be excellent at filtering but being just before the carb I thought it would act as a kind of fuel capacitor if that makes sense!
I have been driving it all week and it goes really nicely now with no hint of the aforementioned problem!

Thanks for all your help with this one!

Ben