Anton's build

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Anton's build

Post by Anton » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:58 pm

The wheel arch extensions look like this:

Only fitted that one so far (heat - HEAT - HEEEEAAAAAT!!!) got the other 3 to fit.

Need to make a pair of 320mmx87mm blanking plates for the rear lights:

Aaaand not sure what to do about this - filler and sand back, or cut out and weld in a new hinge and surrounding metal...

Seems pretty strong, but a HPOC scottie thinks it needs cutting out and welding. :weld:
Last edited by Anton on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:09 pm

I say cut it out and weld it.

That is a structural point and take a fair bit of abuse with the door hanging on it.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:18 pm

That is NOT a filler job!
If it ticks over...leave it

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:22 pm

Deffo agree with Jordi cut it all out and plate it proper otherwise you will only will be chasing rust a few years later.
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

Anton

Post by Anton » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:35 pm

Yeah, I'm being stupid (read: Lazy) - that does need chopping out and replacing.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:47 pm

Thats a one to do properly bud. Fairly sure they have a reinforced captive plate welded inside the pillar for the door hinges then the body panel skin is over the top.

Id cut out as much as poss and probably use a bit of box section with holes drilled and tapped for the hinge bolts then form sheet steel to the shape of the panel and weld it in.

Unless you can get a good rear corner off another one?
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

andyrew
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by andyrew » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:10 am

could you get a pic and dimensions of the new landy lights you want to fit. ill pre dill the
plates so they can just bolt in.
Andys Rusty Suzuki Emporium

Anton

Post by Anton » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:31 am

Jordi wrote:Thats a one to do properly bud. Fairly sure they have a reinforced captive plate welded inside the pillar for the door hinges then the body panel skin is over the top.

Id cut out as much as poss and probably use a bit of box section with holes drilled and tapped for the hinge bolts then form sheet steel to the shape of the panel and weld it in.

Unless you can get a good rear corner off another one?
The plan in my head was to find a scrapper with a solid hinge and rear quarter, and cut out a section, or alternatively cut away the bad metal and weld in a dirty great big piece of angle.

I'll have to see if I can find a scrapper with a solid rear quarter, welding a fat bit of angle into thin bodywork might not work so well.
andyrew wrote:could you get a pic and dimensions of the new landy lights you want to fit. ill pre dill the
Doh! Facepalm. I did wonder why you wanted the dimensions of a standard SJ rear light - now I realise that's not what you were asking me! I'll have those dimensions for you this afternoon, buddy.

ROBBIE

Post by ROBBIE » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:03 pm

andyrew wrote:could you get a pic and dimensions of the new landy lights you want to fit. ill pre dill the
Did have a pair of plates all ready for this, But sorry they arnt in the shed must have been chucked out
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

Anton

Post by Anton » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:03 am

41.5mm holes needed. I didn't measure the screw holes, I thought it might be best to drill those on the day

Sorry this took so long, busy week! Thanks, by the way.