Ed's wagon

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Ed's wagon

Post by Jordi » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:37 pm

I responded earlier and never realised what Dans post was about. Just read it again and got it. Lol.

I remember years ago my bedroom was above the drive and i heard a god almighty bang. The bloke who lived up the hill hadn't put his handbrake on properly and it had rolled down and been stopped by my dads car.

It happens.

Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Edweird » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:41 pm

Jordi wrote:I responded earlier and never realised what Dans post was about. Just read it again and got it. Lol.

I remember years ago my bedroom was above the drive and i heard a god almighty bang. The bloke who lived up the hill hadn't put his handbrake on properly and it had rolled down and been stopped by my dads car.

It happens.

Jordi
Ouch! I bet your dad wasn't best pleased.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:44 pm

Nah, wasn't too happy but shouting wasn't gonna make it any better, or make the prick a better driver.

As the saying goes "thats what insurance is for".

Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:53 am

Well now folks. I've been neglecting the forum a little bit recently. Thought I'd let you know what's happening for those that care. :D

The bumper I bought from Jordi is all cleaned up, but is currently in the garage painted dark metallic blue. I need to buy a tin of black smooth-rite to top-coat it.

My truck sailed through her MOT two weeks ago. Just had to wind the idle speed up a bit to pass emmissions. No advisories, not even for the mangled bumper. MOT tester repeatedly said he was impressed how good she looks underneath (better than the scabby bodywork).

He also pointed out the same thing I've noticed. With the new springs on, she's not sitting level. Front passenger side is sitting an inch higher than the front drivers and rear drivers is an inch lower than the rear passengers. She drives alright but looks a bit odd from 5-10 yards.

Another thing is I've got something up with my front brakes. When they're cold they're fine. Well balanced left-right and such when she was MOT'd, but what I've found is that I'm getting thermal fade on the front drivers brake. Just driving around the drivers brake gets hot and the passengers one doesn't. It also squeals quite badly sometimes, particularly when I turn right a little bit. I've actually recorded the squealing on my phone if anyone wants a listen.

Any ideas what it could be? My first thought was the brakes not releasing properly but if the front right was sticking on then she'd pull to the right a bit on over-run but she doesn't, she pulls to the left a tiny bit just as she has always done since I first got her. That's not to say the brakes aren't sticking on a bit. They must be for the front drivers disc to get hot, whilst the passenger disc is cold.

The right way,
The wrong way

sam16v
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by sam16v » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:41 am

Sounds like a sticking caliper to me. Id strip them off clean the sliders, and the bits the pads slide on, a dab of high temp grease,when it all goes back together. failing that push the pistons out as far as you dare, check for rust and pitting. If there is any bit of wet and dry to get rid of the pitting or roughness. Should sort your problems.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:45 am

Sticky caliper. Take em' off clean em' up. Stick em' back on.

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:29 pm

Alright, cheers folks. Might as well do both sides?

The right way,
The wrong way

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:10 pm

Yeah, both sides is best. Should prevent any imbalance.

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:08 pm

Well, got that done today. Brakes are all freed up and sorted. It was just rust sticking things together basically.

The right way,
The wrong way

Rails
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Rails » Sun May 12, 2013 1:52 am

Nice SJ :) My first car was an early 1983 SJ with the same metal dash but it was a soft top & had drums brakes all round. This is really making me want to get an early SJ again lol.