Another seat question

fitting new seats? welding up arches? Painting your SJ? post your queries here
mk1joe
Winching along now
Winching along now

Another seat question

Post by mk1joe » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:15 pm

Hello, me again.
i bought these new seats to fit but there not as simple as i thought they would be. gunu need a bit of fabrication to get them to fit. so upon being a bit stuck i thought the best bet was to ask you guys as you always seem to have good answers.
these are the seats i want to fit and i was going to just swap the sub-frames over but the subfames on the new ones dont unbolt as there part of the seat. the new frame is wider so first thing i will do is grind off the brackets, but what then? id like them to fit really flush with the floor so they dont stick up to hight. so basicaly im looking for a bit of inspiration.
thanks for all the help guys:)

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Another seat question

Post by Jordi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:31 pm

Photo of the bottom of the old seat?

All mine unbolted and swapped over.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by felstmiester » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:34 pm

Depends how handy you are really. I put some Subaru wrx seats in mine and although I need to cut some of the brackets and reweld em I managed to pick up on 3 out of the 4 mounting holes on each seat. Be careful tho, there's not a lot of width in our jeeps the wrx seats in mine are the limit for size, they almost touch the doors when there shut.
1.5 ISUZU TD ENGINE. EXTERNAL ROLL CAGE. CUSTOM MADE FRONT & REAR BUMPERS. SAMMY AXLES. RASCAL REARS. RUF. WRX SEATS. FRONT & REAR WINCHES. SNORKEL. FRONT SPOTS & REAR FLOODS. TWIN BATTERIES. FULL WADING KIT. 8.5" WHEELS WITH GRIZZLY CLAWS. OH!!!! AND THE WIFE'S ROASTING TIN!!

mk1joe
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by mk1joe » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:34 pm

yea thats true, thanks guys. i guess i just need to soldier on with it really. the pasanger seat should be quite straight foreward, but the drivers is on that raised plinth, i guess it wont be easy to get them level:( the only thing i can think of is raising up the pasanger one, but i want them to be as low as possible.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:49 pm

I would start by removing all unused brackets on the bottom of te slider rails so that you have 2 flat surfaces to work with, I'm sure you could knock up some bolt on adapters to mount them onto the original mounts, either that or cut out all the existing mounts on the driver side and then use some box section to bolt them to and then bolt that onto the floor using spreader plates on the underside of the floor to stop the bolts having any chance of ripping through.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

mk1joe
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by mk1joe » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:31 pm

hey! been trying to soldier on with these seats so i drilled the holes through the floor but they didnt land in great places:( but thats not too bad. the thing im having more problems with is the bolts, i had to grind them down to fit inbetween the runners and i cant get a washer on them else the seat wont slide.
so what do you guys think? is this a problem as theres not much surface area, or will it do...

also as scottie mentioned the drivers seat will be higher as its sitting on that box section, do you think this will look odd? as im not keen in cutting it out:(

thanks for all the help guys!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:04 pm

When all else failed me. I welded!

Kept all original suzuki sliders. Drilled box section to match the new seat. Bilted seats to the box section, tack welded it to suzuki runner. Removed seats. Welded it all properly, bolted seats back in.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

mk1joe
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by mk1joe » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:15 pm

mk1joe wrote: also as scottie mentioned the drivers seat will be higher as its sitting on that box section, do you think this will look odd? as im not keen in cutting it out:(

thanks for all the help guys!
looks like im going to have to cut that box section out on the driver side, didnt really want to do it as i wanted to leave the car as unmolested as possible :(

any advice on doing this? is is just spot welds to drill out or will i need a grinder? does someone want to do it for me or is there another idea where i dont have to cut it out, lol

mk1joe
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by mk1joe » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:14 am

so whats the cleanest way to cut out that box section?

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:48 pm

If its just spot welds you can get a drill bit thats for doing them
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good