Bump stops with sammy axles

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Bump stops with sammy axles

Post by felstmiester » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:56 pm

I've got rascal rears and ruf on my what was a 410. As I put the diesel turbo engine in while doing the spring swap I added a few more leafs from the old fronts to compensate for the little extra weight but didn't touch the bump stops as it didn't seem to raise it that much. Since then I've put sammy axles on wich as you know are fatter diameter wich has now made less of a gap between axles and bump stops. I would say when the sj is sitting flat theres no more than 150mm between axle and bump stop. Although my rascal rears are knackered now the front spring still have a nice arc to em and the tyre to arch gap is good. I've been looking at another post on extending bump stops and the pics with sua the same as I have there looks way more of a gap.
1.5 ISUZU TD ENGINE. EXTERNAL ROLL CAGE. CUSTOM MADE FRONT & REAR BUMPERS. SAMMY AXLES. RASCAL REARS. RUF. WRX SEATS. FRONT & REAR WINCHES. SNORKEL. FRONT SPOTS & REAR FLOODS. TWIN BATTERIES. FULL WADING KIT. 8.5" WHEELS WITH GRIZZLY CLAWS. OH!!!! AND THE WIFE'S ROASTING TIN!!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Bump stops with sammy axles

Post by Jordi » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:22 pm

Which pics? If any of them are mine it had brand new springs are xmas.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by felstmiester » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:23 pm

Put it this way. If I put box section on to lower my bump stops they'd be touching the axle lol.
1.5 ISUZU TD ENGINE. EXTERNAL ROLL CAGE. CUSTOM MADE FRONT & REAR BUMPERS. SAMMY AXLES. RASCAL REARS. RUF. WRX SEATS. FRONT & REAR WINCHES. SNORKEL. FRONT SPOTS & REAR FLOODS. TWIN BATTERIES. FULL WADING KIT. 8.5" WHEELS WITH GRIZZLY CLAWS. OH!!!! AND THE WIFE'S ROASTING TIN!!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 pm

The bump stops just need to be set to stop the springs inverting, if the axle meets the bump stops before the springs pass flat, it's fine
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

kibris
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by kibris » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:21 am

I have only about 200mm between my bump stops and axle on the front with RUF, i extended my bump stops though, they were brand new springs and I did not want to ruin them, kept meaning to increase the gap a bit but it seems fine and now Scottie has said its ok i will leave mine :) It only limits upward travel dont it? plus i think it acts as a fulcrum and gives more articulation???? i am guessing now guys :)
:hands: