what a start to my off road carrier!!

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
johnboy
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

what a start to my off road carrier!!

Post by johnboy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:14 pm

hey there people, i just this weekend bought a h reg sj413 im not sure of what work was done but its not standard i can see its spring over axle, and got chunky ass tyres on but apart from that im lost its my first 4x4! i bought it off a friend so i knew it was good fun off road as we used to go out in it but he wants a discovery to use for work and play instead of runnin two insurance policies!?
I picked the sj up on sat afternon it was runnin a bit poo n kept on cutting out when i was pullin off unless i revved it quite high so i put that down to the carb needing a tweak so its going to get looked over by a mechanic i know..
Being the exited kid with a toy me and a friend thought itd b a good idea to go campin in it so we went to asda got a flat cap each sum aviator sunglass' and a bottle of scrumpy each and off we went to the local beach... we didnt take a tent or sleeping bags we just set a fire up and put the front seats forward and slept in the back on sum sheets we found in the shed.. hardcore... that was great fun and a experience in itself... so the sun came up and we moved on.. not without quick play in the dunes then we came accross a easy route to thebeach over a small dune.... over we went n realised tht the flat beach is BORING!! so decided to head home as i approached a small dune we found with some tracks off other vehicles i suddenly lost alll gears? now it cant be the clutch because its gotta clutch in thats less then a month old? so we think it may be the transfer box?? thts for the mechanic.. so we rang a friend with a recovery truck n he said to get it to the nearest place to the road so we started to push the anus about a mile down the beach when the rangers showed up and advised us that you are not meant to be on the beach this far down so i explained the situation of "walking my dog the night b4 and he got off the lead i tried to follow him and the car broke down!!" which went down a storm with the rangers laughin there heads off... they were kind enough to give us a tow to the nearest and easiest dunt to get a tow truck to winch us over..... so the tow truck came and the winch wasnt long enough... so a phone call was made and a friend offered to lend me a long wheel base shogun to drag the sj over the dune off we went to pick it up...... no diesel.... petrol station filled it up...... then off back to the beach in which time the police had been ad stuck a nice big orange sticker!!! "police aware" so we hung around until the police came back to try and sort somethin out.... and surprisingly the police were cool and asked if they could have a go if we got it going and would we fancy a challenge against there 110 defender!! but we couldnt get it going and the longer we took to try and get it going the more "policey" they becam so in the end they ended up seezing the vehicle and impounding it! but as i havent got the insurance papers through the post i cant go and collect it!! so at the moment its sat in the impoound runnin a bill up!! not good!! haha o well all part of the learning curve i guess! i think ill have to read up were i can and cant go in the future! so heres some pics i took before our friends turned up!! enjoy and feedback and ideas whats next mods for the sj would be good..... thanks for reading my essay hope to speak soon!
Attachments
sj beast!!.jpg
sj beast!!.jpg (67.97 KiB) Viewed 7985 times
this is me on my pride and joy!
this is me on my pride and joy!
me on sj.jpg (65.6 KiB) Viewed 7984 times
and this is my friend who thinks he bear grylles! haha
and this is my friend who thinks he bear grylles! haha
ande on sj.jpg (73.67 KiB) Viewed 7985 times

johnboy
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: what a start to my off road carrier!!

Post by johnboy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:54 pm

and some more pics iv just found on my phone/facebook.....
Attachments
sj n a mans best friend...... scrumpy!.jpg
sj n a mans best friend...... scrumpy!.jpg (50.79 KiB) Viewed 7971 times
muddy sj.jpg
muddy sj.jpg (66.34 KiB) Viewed 7973 times
muddy sj1.jpg
muddy sj1.jpg (86.06 KiB) Viewed 7974 times

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:58 pm

Thats a big set of KL7s :lol:

I know the guy who used to have it, Mini big foot was its nick name (MBF) I will dig some details out about it.

Sounds like you had a good (expensive) time :lol:

If the carb is standard, i have one hell of a good remedy for it.... remove the top cover, there are 4X12mm bolts holding it onto the inlet manifold... Now listen carefully, this is the hardest part, with the up most care for the carb, carefully remove it.... now once it is removed place to hands around the carb, like holding your parents best china.... then drop kick it over the fence and foreget about it! They are a load of sh1t! Get rid of it and fit an Su!

Lost to all drive... a few things it could be, t box likely, but it wouls lock up... are you sure you didnt hit N in the t box instead of 4 low?

Henry

johnboy
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by johnboy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:59 pm

and more..............
Attachments
what hill.jpg
what hill.jpg (112.35 KiB) Viewed 7964 times
first mod!! the life saving spade!! haha
first mod!! the life saving spade!! haha
sj with spade.jpg (50.96 KiB) Viewed 7963 times
the engines here somewere.jpg
the engines here somewere.jpg (66.5 KiB) Viewed 7963 times

johnboy
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by johnboy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:02 pm

hey cheers for the reply.... no we tried it in 2h,4h,n and 4l it wouldnt at one point it was sounding like the gears were grinding like the clutch wasnt pressed in? so im hopin its something simple thats bounced out of place to release the clutch onto the gears? im not sure.... are they hard cars to work on? id like to do as much work myself as a learning curve! i luuurve this car!! cant help but smile when i llok at it! iv just bought a hardtop off ebay for £42 as the soft tops ripping and leaking everywere!!

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:11 pm

Are they hard to work on?

Nope, dead easy, you will never get an easier car to work on. Im 16 and am all self taught, in the middle of rebuilding my sj for a second time :roll:

http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/phpBB3/ph ... f=22&t=835

T-Boxes tend not to drop cog unless someone has popped them open to lower the gearing in them. I would first drop it out (3 props, 4X12mm bolts on each props) then you have 3 mounts, unbolt these and the speedo cable and it will lift out. I would then select all gears and check what flanges are under there. While it is out, pull the prop out of the gear box (it just slides out) and then engine on tick over, first gear, check that the drive shaft is turning.

Henry

johnboy
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by johnboy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 pm

haha im very jealous! wish i had parents that would put up with me tinkerin at that age!! i had to rent my own unit out to start rebuilding my minis! tell what ill do mate... ill leave it in my garden for you to do! haha is there any common problems i should look out for with the sj? cheers

patroldriver1
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by patroldriver1 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:18 pm

Wow, good to see M.B.F. again, glad its gettin muddy, twas me n my Ben that did the big wheels n tyres, tyres came off my patrol.

patroldriver1
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by patroldriver1 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:19 pm

Wow, good to see M.B.F. again, glad its gettin muddy, twas me n my Ben that did the big wheels n tyres, tyres came off my patrol.

muddymesser
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by muddymesser » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:22 pm

wow mini big foot its like seeing a old friend :P

i remember gettin that throught its MOT loads o rust :lol: but loads of fun 8-)

has it still got the green door cards and skull shifter ?

try taking the t-box shifter and movin the bits around inside give it a good greasing and it should work i had t do that with the little un of mine

http://jonnyraw.com/chavcrusher.htm

before we had it :roll: