Gearbox is dying.

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Gearbox is dying.

Post by ferris » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:36 am

I think my gearbox has finnaly given up. It was fine yesterday, but this morning it is a struggle to select any gear and on my 15 mile drive into work it became increasingly worse. Every gear change requires alot of brute force and crunching, and there is a matalic rattling conning from the box.

I think the drive home is going to be interesting :lol:
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

Boyes
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Gearbox is dying.

Post by Boyes » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:27 am

Doesn't sound good! No prior symptoms to this?
Drop oil and look at colour, we dropped diff oil on a Navara that wouldn't work in 4WD, safe to say they oil was grey, lots of filings/swarf and about 5, inch+ peices of pinion lol.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:14 pm

It could be something as simple as the release bearing sticking matey, drain a bit of the oil and check for a metallic shimmer in the oil if there isn't any I'd say it clutch/release bearing related.

Release bearings can make that sort of noise when they are on their way out!

I can get a clutch done in just over an hour If you need a hand. I have a nice and dry workshop to do it in as well ;)
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Pugsley
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Pugsley » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:16 pm

Rebuilding the gearbox is not as daunting as you might think - I've recently put new bearings in my 410 gearbox. You will need access to various length bearing pullers and/or a bearing press plus you need to work in an organised way without lots of junk all around you - a digital camera comes in handy as well to record the correct assembly of parts.

Bearings were available off the shelf even down here in the Barnstaple area.

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:23 pm

Cheers guys. I'll drop the oil when I get home and have a look. IV got a spare gearbox if it needs it. Will the box just drop out from underneath? I don't have to take the engine out do I?
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:26 pm

Propshafts. Cross member. And it'll wiggle out. Dont forget to undo the reverse light wire.

My gearbox is great. Just been through the whole clutch / refurb gearbox thing.

Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:17 pm

Yeah gearbox out from underneath. As said if you want somewhere dry to do it give me a shout :thumbup:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:54 pm

Well I just drove it home and all was back to normal. Dropped the oil out aswell and that didn't look to bad either. Does that mean it was just the thrust bearing sticking then?

Christoff
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Christoff » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:57 pm

At work we have a Russell Hobbs cooking ring thing that's for gearbox builds. Use it to heat up gear cogs so they slide into the shaft.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:17 pm

ferris wrote:Well I just drove it home and all was back to normal. Dropped the oil out aswell and that didn't look to bad either. Does that mean it was just the thrust bearing sticking then?
I'd say it probably is the thrust bearing if that was the case :thumbup:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!