challenge project

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: challenge project

Post by TanZuk » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:24 pm

Nice work on the Toy springs. I also like the looks of your Rig with the back half done.

I was looking at the body and the pic seemed to look like there was some rust starting. I use a product that seems to work very well to help prevent this problem. It is called Ospho and is not that expensive.

Here is a link

http://www.ospho.com/

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:34 pm

Looks good matey, I'd say the missing links only need another 25-30mm in length and you'll have a good shackle angle!

How far back has the axle moved from stock springs?

Also where's the flex shots :thefinger:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

arreff77
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by arreff77 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:40 pm

TanZuk wrote:Nice work on the Toy springs. I also like the looks of your Rig with the back half done.

I was looking at the body and the pic seemed to look like there was some rust starting.
cheers bud, the rear body was born of necessity, due to the old girl getting tired an having to lean against the odd tree :lol:
the toy springs seem to have plenty of flex to them, most of my reference is from o.s.p's build on zukikrawlers.

theres always some rust on her somewhere, she's not a thing of beauty more of fuction over form. she's going to be stripped and re painted at some point, some time so i'll have a look into that stuff cheers.
i'm not lost, i'm finding new places.

arreff77
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by arreff77 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:57 pm

ScottieJ wrote:Looks good matey, I'd say the missing links only need another 25-30mm in length and you'll have a good shackle angle!

How far back has the axle moved from stock springs?

Also where's the flex shots :thefinger:
i redrew the missing link arrangement today in work the one in the pic are for the front and are 80mm, the shackles are 5" long so i'm going to make a set at 112mm and reduce the shackle to 100mm it should be something like it.

the flex pics will be along as soon as the axle is actually attached rather than just resting under the springs. i only had 4 hrs to swap the springs over pack up and get home so the u bolts are in a bucket at the mo. :lol:

the axle's moved back about 6 or 7" i suppose that you could keep it nearer stock if you used plates as you do for the yj conversion.

arreff77
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by arreff77 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:16 pm

right then folks after a forced leave of absence(working in the land of all things zook), i'm starting work on the old girl again.
well when i got home i wasn't too sure if she'd start, but charged the battery over night ang she started first time :armsup: , so time for a few lanes, followed by an afternoon down at the p+p, well the tubes that went around the front clip worked but not as well as i'd hoped, i was going to do similar to scottie j and trim the wings but after a momentery loss of concentration the front pass wing got stuffed into a low tree stump, hard enough to cripple it, crack the light lense and tear the bolt at the front though!
so the disc cutter has been out again and after an hour or so we ended up with this
08122012268.jpg
08122012268.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 7218 times
really need to paint it, oh well she isn't supposed to be pretty. a quick look on the bay bought some lights that'll end up here
08122012270.jpg
08122012270.jpg (1.76 MiB) Viewed 7218 times
these will be protected by some more tubes around them.

now back to the suspension, i went back to spoa on sammy springs whilst i had a think about what to do with the toy springs for the rear, so i've decided to use adaptor plates as per a yj swap and go ruf with missing links both spua, this has thown up one obsticle though the steering bar and drag link are just about touching at the moment (axle sat 1" forward now, and will move another 1 1/2" futher with the ruf so looks like the steering bars will need some too. with both axles moved that shoul give me about 6 or 8" over std wheel base.
another thing on the still growing list of things to do is to offset the vitara rims but thats a long way down, i think some fab and weld possibly some paint are on the cards too.
Last edited by arreff77 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here

Post by turbo-tom » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:20 pm

glad to see your working back on her giving her the treatment she needs :thumbup:

what company did you get the lights from? could you send me a link please ? thank you tom
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

arreff77
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by arreff77 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:38 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dominator-Twi ... 688wt_1328

there probably are cheaper ones on there but they all seem to workout about the same with postage.

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:40 pm

arreff77 wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dominator-Twi ... 688wt_1328

there probably are cheaper ones on there but they all seem to workout about the same with postage.

Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

dazerede
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by dazerede » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:48 am

Welcome back dude
Suzuki Sj 410 Jap Built
Recaro Seats Fitted
Landini Blue Colour
Full rollcage and winch bumper
1.6 8v vitara lump with su carb
4” calmini lift kit :)
235/75/15 insa turbo special tracks
99.9% Rust Free
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

arreff77
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by arreff77 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:22 pm

well folks it's been a busy week or so, but that hasn't stopped me getting a few bits done over the lunch times
21122012274.jpg
21122012274.jpg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 7012 times
got these cut and drilled over a couple of days, spacer sleaves made so that i can jig them for welding, also decided that one more leaf can come out of the hi lux spring packs as they felt really stiff on the bench. will get a decent pic of the missing links and post it up over the week end, glad to be moving forward again all be it slowly.