Handleing?

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: Handleing?

Post by Edweird » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:44 pm

I must admit I've had my SJ up on two wheels once because I went round a tight uphill right-left 'S' bend (Scandinavian flick effect) with a camber that tips you the wrong way on the left hander and I clipped the inside curb on the left hand bend with my rear left wheel.

A quick turn of the wheel to get the front wheels pointing to the right get her back on all four wheels again.

This was about a month after passing my driving test though, so I wasn't familiar with the width of my truck, hence clipping the curb. Plus it was raining hard and at night and I hadn't fitted my halogen bulbs at this point.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:48 pm

Halogen bulbs. Thanks Ed, another thing to add to the list that i haven't got done in the past few years. I don't need a note book, i'm just start using a loo role to list my jobs.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:51 pm

Jordi wrote:Halogen bulbs. Thanks Ed, another thing to add to the list that i haven't got done in the past few years. I don't need a note book, i'm just start using a loo role to list my jobs.
Get yourself some, seriously! The tungsten ones are like crap household torches. Now that I've got halogens in and get them positioned symmetrically my headlights are better than the Discovery, which has the same bulbs.

The right way,
The wrong way

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:59 pm

Like everything else i have Ed. In a box somwhere as well as 5 angel eye halogen spot lamps.

I'll get there.

Not trying to thread hi jack here. It's just where we ended up.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:10 pm

Jordi wrote:Not trying to thread hi jack here. It's just where we ended up.
Yes, sorry about that folks.

The right way,
The wrong way

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:57 pm

Edweird wrote:
Tramp wrote:It's amazing how everyone knows about the 'suzuki roll over' myth. I told my dad I was buying an SJ and his response was 'aren't they the ones that roll over' That little bit of misinformation ruined suzuki sales for years, I hope suzuki got a bloody good lawsuit against the consumer union!

Personally id have a drive in a suzi before you plan any mods, I personally don't think they handle any worse than an equivalent 4x4
Yeah, my Dad and all of my Dad's friends all asked virtually the same question so I just respond with things like "No more than yours understeers into a hedge".

If I remember rightly Suzuki took the CU through legal proceedings that took years. By the time the CU admitted what they had done the Jimny was on sale. I've seen footage showing the course alterations, higher speeds and someone threatening the test drivers that if they couldn't tip it over they'd be sacked.

Suzuki got an absolute bombshell, like hundreds of millions.
I posted the CU video in my reply at the start Ed. Entertaining watch I tell thee!
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:07 pm

I know mine has 10" wide wheels so that helps but I used to really annoy one of my mates by sticking on his arse in his old mk2 vw scirocco around country lanes, he used to loose me a bit in the straights but i always caught him in the twisties :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Pugsley
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Pugsley » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:39 pm

Some years ago I was the Quality Assurance Manager for a well known vehicle manufacturer (not Suzuki) and one of my roles was to have regular liaison with the Vehicle Inspectorate in Bristol. I had a company car but I always had a fascination for SJ's and on one visit to the VI I casually brought the tipping over syndrome up as this subject was doing the rounds at the time.

The VI had carried out their own tests following those in the USA and whilst they were not able to show me the file, I was told that out of the 13 different 4x4's they had tested, they were only able to turn one over - and it wasn't a Suzuki.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:47 pm

I feel a freedom of information request is needed. Anyone know how we do that?

What was it? Your just teasing us with half a story. Will we ever know the answer?

Thats tonight sleep ruined searching the web for answers. Lol

Jordi

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:49 pm

Jordi wrote:I feel a freedom of information request is needed. Anyone know how we do that?

What was it? Your just teasing us with half a story. Will we ever know the answer?

Thats tonight sleep ruined searching the web for answers. Lol

Jordi
The one they turned over was probably a Land Rover. :hahaha:

The right way,
The wrong way