Samurai 1.3 power steering

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Samurai 1.3 power steering

Post by Jordi » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:37 pm

Any info on which pump is easiest to fit to a 1.3?

Vit or jimny pump?

Cheers
Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:41 pm

They are both pretty much the same ;) I have a feeling the jimny pump also has the mutli-V belt. I'll check for you later as I have one in the workshop (and no it's for the LWB :thefinger: )
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:47 pm

I've found all the bits scottie vit and jimny. Just wana find out the easiets way and buy the bits to suit.

Ferris mentioned that vit pump is on a ribbed pulley. Im thinking getting vit bottom pulley re drilled then doing transit alt conversion as has ribbed pulley to. Then i'll kust get two ribbed belt to match. Presuming they are the same width.

Pulleys now seem to be the easiest part. As time is limited, sj is my daily drive, i need to have all bits ready just to do a straight swap. Don't really have time to shop about if parts are wrong.

It doesnt please the wife if i get her up at 4am and ask her to take me to work. Lol

Cheers for all the help chaps. I know theres a lot of write ups but every one seems to have used slightly different set up and i couldn't find a definitive list of all brackets and mods needed for the many variations.

Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:53 pm

Another daft one. Does the model of vitara matter for the box and pump? Will any pump from a 1.6 do or are the differences between older ones and newer ones?

Thanks
Jordi

steve greenc3
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by steve greenc3 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:16 pm

When i did my samurai/vitara power steering conversion it took a weekend to do, but certainly worth doing. I converted mine to run vitara pulleys and belts rather than try to make two profile bottom pulley, alternator and water pump pulleys just swap straight over, bottom pulley had to be drilled through original four bolt pulley because only one bolt hole lines up, that was pulley"s sorted. Wedge for vitara box made to Difflock pattern, no problems there. Power steering pump needed plate welded to it, so it could be raised up side of block to clear chassis rail. Radiator had to be moved approx 40mm to nearside to clear steering box, then side rail had to be modified to allow cooing fan room to rotate. Several trips to local motor factors to get right belts, final check everything bolted up tight, fired it up and turned steering wheel through full travel whilst stationary, something you cant do with a Samurai on manual steering! This would first mod to be carried out on any future Samurai that comes my way, its so much easier off road, you dont get stuck in deep landrover tramlines,you can climb out over now!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:14 pm

Thinks its going to have to be vitara setup. Jimny PAS boxes are still pricey. Everywhere is coming back at £125+. Vit setups are all sort of £40 - £50 range.

I'll give it another go at getting to a few salvage yards this weekend.

Any chance of a few photos steve?

Cheers
Jordi

steve greenc3
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by steve greenc3 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:38 pm

Hi Jordi if you want to pm your e-mail address, i"ll try to send some pics but i"m no computer expert, any questions dont be afraid to ask, i"ve got belt sizes written down, so if you go vitara belts/pullley"s i"ll find them for you.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:06 am

Jimny pump, box, pipes, reservoir, bottom pulley, tensioner and all brackets. Not sure if i need tensioner. Probably have to mod brackets to fit. But all delivered £100

Sorted!
Jordi

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:27 am

That's a good price. I paid that for just the steering box.
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:29 am

Shopped about a bit. Found box, pump and reservoir on ebay. Bloke had the other bit and a 'best offer'. Just haggled a bit. So I should have that next week some time.

Miles cheaper than any other quotes i got. Thought i'd spend that bit extra to make life easy.

Jordi