anus YJ springs info

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
Boyes
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

anus YJ springs info

Post by Boyes » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:22 am

So guys, YJ springs? I've heard (from multiple) sources that they give the best ride, and articulation an Sj can get, and are leaps and bounds ahead of the standard springs.

So I can get them at a decent price, considerably cheaper than on Ebay as my Dad sells parrabolics for trucks :twisted:

What is required to get/make them fit and good articulation? I know scottie has them and with Astra shocks (Which I have for my rears) do these shocks give enough travel?

Any help/input would be appreciated!

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: anus YJ springs info

Post by ferris » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:50 am

If you can get them cheap i would go for it. The ride is about as good as your going to get with a leaf spring set up. The amount of flex your going to gain really depends on your set up . Iv got YJs spua virtul lift and 33" tyres, and my wheels hit my arches way before they are fully flexed. I'm also running astra shocks, they are up to the job but i do plan on getting something better in the future.

The other thing is the adapter kit you will need to fit it to your SJ. Scottie made his own, and i think he has some plans for the kit. I bought my kit, as my fabrication skill arnt great. But i had to buy it from America and it cost a small fortune.
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

Boyes
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Boyes » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:06 am

ferris wrote:If you can get them cheap i would go for it. The ride is about as good as your going to get with a leaf spring set up. The amount of flex your going to gain really depends on your set up . Iv got YJs spua virtul lift and 33" tyres, and my wheels hit my arches way before they are fully flexed. I'm also running astra shocks, they are up to the job but i do plan on getting something better in the future.

The other thing is the adapter kit you will need to fit it to your SJ. Scottie made his own, and i think he has some plans for the kit. I bought my kit, as my fabrication skill arnt great. But i had to buy it from America and it cost a small fortune.
Yeah I've read numerous posts British & across the atlantic about running YJ's, my rears are new and fronts are old and flat, so when I finish mounting the heavy derv in, it will require new springs.

I've got a copy of his designs, I'm sure I'll be able to find an engineering company to make them up or I will if I've got the patience :roll:

I have SPOA on the front (Due to saggy springs) and SPUA on the rear (new springs) with lift shackles, my shocks on the rears are currently on the limit in upwards travel, so the astra shocks will be bolted on soon.

I don't have virtual lift, but mines only a weekend road legal toy so can chop it here and there. I don't need the articulation yet, but I'm thinking come next year I'll want more (as you always do lol)

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:07 am

What sort of money are you talking for a set?

I could be very interested in a pair also. :D
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Boyes
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Boyes » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:30 pm

Where are you located for postage? 300 I was quoted with a 3 week lead time as it's special delivery.

trotter
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by trotter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:26 pm

£300 for a set of new yj's? thats pretty good i paid nearly that for a set of barely used ones (that i still haven't got around to fitting) and the conversion kit was about £500ish delivered from low range offroad..
if in doubt, FLAT OUT!

mans tool kit > duct tape, wd40 and a bfh is all you ever need

Boyes
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Boyes » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:22 am

trotter wrote:£300 for a set of new yj's? thats pretty good i paid nearly that for a set of barely used ones (that i still haven't got around to fitting) and the conversion kit was about £500ish delivered from low range offroad..
Yes £300, so £75 a corner I have been quoted.

Brand new from a commercial Parrabolic spring manufacturer/seller, they mainly sell to trucks unfortunately these don't come with the mounts, just springs with standard bushes (As my Dad, tells me polys crack springs/damage the eyes on them as they're too stiff/not enough give)