Ed's wagon

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Ed's wagon

Post by ROBBIE » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:57 pm

just put this up so we can be :suzuki: geeks together :hahaha:
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Edweird » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:37 pm

Tramp wrote:Congratulations your officially an SJ geek now, not that you needed a 1000 posts to prove it! I know I certainly didn't! Keep up the hard work & don't forget regular photos!
OOoooh! My 5 red :S:'s have turned into one silver one! Sweet.

I haven't taken a picture in ages! Nothing's gone wrong and nothing's been modified. When I get the rocker box gasket I'll take a picture with the cover off. Turns out that the oil coming down the back of the engine, or at least some of it, was coming from the rocker cover.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:46 pm

I'll have a look ed, I might have a new gasket you can have.

Just post some pics anyway :poke:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:55 pm

ScottieJ wrote:I'll have a look ed, I might have a new gasket you can have.

Just post some pics anyway :poke:
Alright, tomorrow then; after my exam.

The right way,
The wrong way

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:47 pm

Had a small disaster at 11 o'clock last night. Went out to my truck to fetch my older brother from the pub and give him a lift back to his house. Opened the door, no courtesy light. Sat in and turned the key, no red dashboard lights when I turned the key. Headlights were off. Checked the battery by tapping the jump leads together: Nice big spark. Had a fiddle and it turned out I had no electrics whatsoever.

I couldn't see bugger all and didn't want to get the tools out late at night so my step-dad went instead. Today, I got out the old multimeter and set it to 2000K Ohms so that I could see what was connected and what wasn't. The car body was still earthed as I discovered when I accidentally touched a spanner to the bodywork when undoing the positive terminal. After poking around some more, I discovered that the smaller wire to the posi-terminal wasn't just a wire, it was a special fuse wire and it serves as the fusible link in SJs (which is like a master fuse that disconnects the whole sha-bang from the battery) and this had blown.
After phoning Cookies, they didn't have anything like it on catalogue.
Baden Powell Honda/Suzuki wanted £16 in advance to get one sent from Germany which would take 2 or 3 days. The chap was quite helpful regardless and gave me the part number, which is supposedly against policy, so I could look for it myself.
Wilson and Co, the local Vauxhall dealer, said that they didn't have any in any of their UK dealerships as 'Bedford Rascals' were so old.

I wasn't going to fork out £16 for a fuse and after Google-ing a bit I actually found a link back to this forum, to a thread less than a month old no less, http://forum.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/vi ... le/#p33064
in which Scottie suggested to j373mud that he replace it with a 30 amp fuse.
Not that I'm doubting you Scott, but 30A just didn't sound beefy enough, seeing as the fusebox has 10 fuses of between 10 and 20 amps, which was why I asked on bookface if anyone knew the current rating of the fusible link. Couldn't find anything, Suzuki man knew nothing either.
Decided: bugger it, I'll do it anyway.
So, I got my Step-dad to bring back an inline car fuse fitting from Cookies. I cut off the male half of the old unit, stuck the new fuse holder in using a chok-block and put a 30A fuse in.

Now it's all back together it runs fine and after deliberately turning everything on and up to maximum nothing blew, so happy days!
Attachments
0.jpg
0.jpg (198.76 KiB) Viewed 5715 times

The right way,
The wrong way

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:40 pm

Yep 30amp is the normal fix. I agree it seems a bit low , but it works :thumbup:
http://zukioffroad.com/Tech_Library/suz ... inks.shtml
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:22 pm

:bawling: doubting me eh Ed :thefinger:

Better for it to be low than too high and burning out something more expensive to fix :tongue:

On a serious note glad you got it sorted matey :thumbup:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:47 pm

Well, if it works it works. Total cost of about £3, which is a hell of a lot better than the £16 standard equipment.

The right way,
The wrong way

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:50 pm

It's my fault for not doing the research beforehand, but regardless: GOD DAMNIT!

I finally convinced my dad to help me change my gearboxes over, plus I needed the use of his ramps anyway. Went around today, got the old girl up, undid everything eventually after a little bit of head scratching with the gearbox to transfer box shaft, got the gearbox out quite easily. Got the reverse sensor swapped no trouble as the one in the 5-speed had no terminals nor a cable. Went to swap the thrust bearing and it turns out that they are different. We didn't want to put the 4-speed back after having put in an hour or so getting it out, so instead dad drove me home, my truck's a foot off the ground 40 miles away feeling very sorry for herself and dad's got an unpowered 4x4 blocking his garage leaking fluids onto his red brick drive.

SO:

I need a thrust bearing for a 5 speed gearbox. Anyone got one lying around, have a part number or know where to get one? On top of that, is there anything else I should know before I get underneath again and try and put the 5 speed in? Please, for the love of all that is greasy and runs on fossil fuels, don't tell me the half shafts are different or something.

Thanks in advance.
thanks in advance

The right way,
The wrong way

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:14 pm

Can I assume yours being an 1984 has a bearing like this
Attachments
410 82-84.jpgdr.jpg
410 82-84.jpgdr.jpg (109.73 KiB) Viewed 5604 times
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!