Hello. Haven't been here for ages.

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
clubbysj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Hello. Haven't been here for ages.

Post by clubbysj » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:15 pm

I used to post a bit on the old SCUK site, so thought i best sign up to this one :mrgreen:
My names Darren and i own a D reg sj410, with a Clubman Estate body.

It's been sorned for the past 6 months, but with it coming up to major mini show season, it's time to get him out the garage again.
Currently got a fueling problem ( sometimes runs fine, other times judders / cuts out due to lack of fuel, even with fuel in the tank ) which i'm sure i'll be asking questions about in the teccy section :mrgreen:

Daz

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Hello. Haven't been here for ages.

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:11 pm

Welcome back matey! I remember you your mini/sj is awesome!

Have you replaced the fuel filter(s)? that could be the problem, if not strip the carb and clean the jets (takes 5/10 mins and can do with carb in place!), then if that doesn't solve it, it might the fuel pump! well thats if it's defo a fuelling problem :lol:

other things that cause judders are worn/pitted points in the dizzy (or the gaps not set up correctly), a cracked dizzy cap, dirty contacts on the dizzy cap/rotor arm, a dodgy condensor, dodgy H/T leads or a dodgy coil! or even a dodgy dizzy (check for up/down/side to side play! a little bit is fine but excessive amounts will cause a problem)

Scottie "word of the day is dodgy" J
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

clubbysj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by clubbysj » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:45 pm

Hi scottie

Thanks for the comments about my car 8-)
The person that built him checked everything but the fuel pipes / tank / pump etc, which makes me think it is fuel related :lol:
( he sold it because he had to, rather than wanted to, so can't blame him for not finishing of the checks :mrgreen: )

I haven't done the fuel filters: think they should be first on the list. Am i right in saying there is 2, 1 engine bay and 1 behind drivers side rear wheel ?

Someone else mentioned fuel pump, so i reckon it won't do any harm to replace that aswell.

Looking forward to getting him out the garage and back on the road 8-) .

Daz

urbanzook
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by urbanzook » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:17 pm

id look at your plugs as if i leve mine for a bit they get all carboned up.
i only worked it out after changing every think els,
some one put it to me that an old engen lets oil in places when sat for
a bit an when you start it up agen it burns off all the oil cloging up your
plugs just wip them out an got to town with a wier brush, wont cost ya
an may sort it out
DONT FOLLOW ME YOU WONT MAKE IT !!!
SEE WOT I GET UP TO CLICK ME!!!!

clubbysj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by clubbysj » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:31 pm

Thanks for the tip. Definetly worth giving a go. Especially if it involves no spending :mrgreen:

Another symptom is when driving quite fine at around 50 / 60mph, it'll loose power, and , even though your accelerating, you end up doing no more than about 30 mph.

However, when this happens ( and when it completely dies ), if you leave it for a few minutes, usually it'll start up fine and off you go as if nothing was wrong :roll:

Even though i've got these problems, it's still a great car. Just adds to the character :mrgreen:

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:04 am

hey up, glad to see you made it back to this great site, have you got an su conversion? sounds like it might be icing up, as for changing the fuel pump dead easy won't take more than 1/2 an hour http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=32247

Luke

clubbysj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by clubbysj » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:04 am

I've got a new fuel pump on the shopping list, so the write-up will come in handy, cheers :mrgreen:

It is an SU carb, and i've read a bit about icing up ( sypmtoms do sound similar to what i'm getting ). Is there a simple solution to solve this ?

I'm completely new to Sj's , but hopefully i'll pick up a few bits as i'm going along.

Daz

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:11 am

it depend if how it has been done, if a 90degree adaptor has been used it needs to be heated some how, or icing can happen,

this is one solution
where abit of copper tubing has been wrapped round it(probably been soldered on) with a hot water from the engine cooling system running round it,

another solution is
which is fitting a heater pack, just like the copper tubing but it would take slightly more skill to make (to be honest it would be easier to use the copper tubing above)

an electric blanket
i got it from sj-uk, but i dont think they have them any more,

i was just reading this.....
http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php ... t=manifold

aparantly your su bolts straight to your manifold, so all of what i have wrote above is useless!!

so it probably wont be icing!

Luke

4eye
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by 4eye » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:42 am

Welcome to the new forum..... 8-) Love the motor!
ITS NOT LEAKING OIL...........SHE'S MARKIN HER TERRITORY!!!!!!!!

my ride.........:4eye:

+2 lift....grizzley boots is all i need!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:18 pm

No worries matey! I knew there was something I missed off my list, plugs! nice one urbanzook! might also be worth checking the plug gaps while they're out!
the mechanical fuel pumps are generally pretty reliable and either work or don't work on the 410 so i wouldn't buy one until you are defo sure thats the problem! as for carb icing, that is defo whats happening by the sound of things; if you are running the SU through the standard air box like I am you just need a hot air feed running offn the air box to the exhaust manifold, then again summer is closing in so you prob won't get this problem as much until it starts getting colder again 8-)
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!