spongy brakes

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: spongy brakes

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:46 pm

did you bleed the brake bias valve thing on the inside of the drivers side chassis rail near the fuel filter? some have a bleed nipple others don't.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Darrell » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:23 pm

Spongy brakes is normally because of air in the system and often the bias valve is overlooked as Scottie says. If the pedal has more travel than it should before the pedal has good resistance this is most likely the pistons in the cylinders travelling too much due to the self adjusters not working. As you know these are knackered it's best to sort them and see how it feels before messing with anything else. :thumbup:
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

samurai gary
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by samurai gary » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:16 pm

ok thanks, i am trying to find some adjusters, also would a faulty servo cause the spongy brakes.....

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:46 pm

I suppose, in theory, yes it could - if it was letting in air or otherwise leaking. It wouldn't necessarily let brake fluid out if it's letting air in, but it's likely (considering the pressures involved).

The fact that it was ok before you replaced the rear cylinders suggests it's not the problem. Suggests, not proves, but suggests very, very strongly.

Unless you played with it somehow during the swapping of the brake cylinders?
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

samurai gary
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by samurai gary » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:26 pm

when i first bought the anus the brakes were siezed and the vacuum pipe on the servo was blocked, could this have caused damage to the servo without me realising as the braking system was in a bad way.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:38 pm

The servo shouldn't effect the pedal apart from making it lighter. If the seals have gone in the master cylinder it could cause spongy brakes. These guys should have rebuild kits for the master cylinder http://www.brakesint.co.uk/
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Anton

Post by Anton » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:38 pm

It "could" have caused damage, but I'd have thought that more than likely not, since you said that your brakes worked ok for a while (presumably *after* the blockage was cleared?). The blockage would simply have stopped it working properly (or at all) until it was sorted out - it's almost impossible for the blockage to have moved from the pipe into the servo because the pressure of the vacuum line would have made whatever was blocking it want to go the other way - into your engine's intake manifold.

Having said that, how do you get a blockage in the vacuum pipe of the servo? I can only think that it was kinked, or something in the servo came loose - perhaps a piece of a seal/gasket or something. If the problem was a kink, I'd think you're fine - if not, it might be worth stripping down the servo and replacing the gaskets, just in case.

But again, having said that, I can't see how a faulty servo would make the brakes spongy. If anything, a faulty servo would make the brakes too hard!
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

samurai gary
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by samurai gary » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:50 pm

i agree, i feel if the servo was faulty it would make the pedal hard, i have a hissing sound when i push brake pedal. not sure if this is normal... i may try an overhaul of master cylinder, ....

Anton

Post by Anton » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:00 pm

Where's the hissing sound coming from? Do you get the hissing sound when the engine is running and you press the brake, or is it also there when you press the brake pedal without the engine running?

And has this just started, or was it there when you took the car to your mechanic?

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:21 am

Hissing sounds probably mean master cylinder seals have gone!!! :(

Get a mate to press the brakes on and off with the engine running and listen to the master cylinder.
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."