lock right diff

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
nathan.stevens
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: lock right diff

Post by nathan.stevens » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:50 pm

not at all! it's not my fault the tail happens to try overtaking me on roundabouts late at night!

Team Pink
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Team Pink » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:42 pm

I have had both a lockright and a welded diff.
Lockright waits until the worst possible moment and then locks causing the back to snap out of line. It never lasted more than 20 miles at a time in the racer(I am perhaps a little harder than most on components)
Welded diff is predictable and gives superb traction, useless on tarmac.

If the SJ is going to see ANY tarmac do not weld the diff, off road only it is cheap and reliable if done properly

Tim

timmy511
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by timmy511 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:19 am

adamsj wrote:do they completely lock the diff up like welding it and are they safe.and has any body welded a diff.what are they like to drive with

i hacvnt read the entire post and dont intend to,

i had two in my landcruiser, and to be honest, theyre shit.

if you drive on the road, they torque steer and torque break under engine breaking, and at high speeds its bloody scary in a tall un-stable truck! off road, the lock sometimes or you just hear them clicking, then you have to drop the revs and the wellie it againto get it to lock!

the front well, thats awesome if your climbing up a hill, if you using engine breaking, they lock up and you cant steer, its a nightmare.

id only run one in the front in desperation or if i got one really cheap as you can unlock the hubs and its ok, the rear, off road only its great, on road leathal.

save your money and just put in a rear air locker, heaps better.

if you look at any challenge truck, nobody runs lockrights or quaifs, if your comp racing a quaif is the way forward, if your off roading, air locker all the way.

adamsj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by adamsj » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:09 pm

i dont understand why they dont put limited slip diffs in 4x4.it would be so much easyer and surely it would work

nathan.stevens
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by nathan.stevens » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:19 pm

i know that on drift cars (probably the same for 4x4's though) it would be better, but decent ones cost loads of money! plus even on road they're quite unpredictable compared to say a welded unless you spend "miwyunz" on a super duper 2-way one.

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:47 pm

adamsj wrote:i dont understand why they dont put limited slip diffs in 4x4.it would be so much easyer and surely it would work
They do, in some of the more spendy trucks. There was a vitara that had one, I *think* (or maybe a grand vitara) as an extra-cost option, I'm pretty sure you could get them in Land Cruisers too.

The thing is, they're not *much* better than an open diff offroad unless you're talking a clutch type, which has it's clutch set very tight. LSD's are really best for road vehicles, for offroaders you want a locker of some kind.

In the end it's all down to money, and what sells a vehicle. 99% of 4x4 customers don't understand what a diff even is, and so won't base their purchase on whether this vehicle or that vehicle has a superior one.

So the manufacturers don't bother fitting them in most cases.

If 4x4's only got sold to people who actually offroad them, they'd probably all have lockers as standard. As it is, you don't need a locker or an LSD to get you out of Tesco's car park, so the vehicles are built with that in mind.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Edweird » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:46 pm

They tend to be fitted to the sportier vehicles that can spin up easily. My dad fitted an LSD from a Cosworth Sierra in mum's old 2000E Sapphire when I were wee tot. According to both of them it made it a little more fidgety in the dry because it would make it skip when it wouldn't normally (because it didn't have the guts), but it wouldn't spin up in the wet like it used to. Even my zook, all forty horses of it, can get sideways on wet roundabouts and spin wheels on junctions.

LSDs tend only to be fitted to cars with the umph to spin up on dry tarmac.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:14 am

I've been told that an LSD is the way to go if you do a lot of driving on snow and ice...
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

chrisj410
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by chrisj410 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:58 pm

Does anyone know which arb lockers fit the rear of a 410? Thanks

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:01 pm

I don't think ARB make a locker that fits 410s. Only 413s and samurais.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!