immobiliser systems

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
Christoff
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

immobiliser systems

Post by Christoff » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:32 pm

Hi members of SCUK

As a condition of my new insurance policy for the SJ i have to have some sort of immobiliser fitted to the vehicle

Speaking on the phone with the woman she said it has to be some sort of electronic immobiliser. She said i could get one from halfords for around £20.

I was unsure of this so i checked it out, the only thing i could find was a cheesy battery isolator which involved me opening the bonnet and turning a switch, same as me pulling off the earth lead every night and losing clock and radio settings (if i had a radio :oops: ) :screwy:

Anyway i was reading the DIY section about running a relay and a switch into the ignition and coil circuit. Sounds good and the engine would turn over without starting which would hopefully wake me up... but would probably flood the engine at the same time.

I phoned source sounds in sheffield who supply and fit security and audio equipment, the cheapest boggo immobiliser they do is a cat 2 system which is £109.00 fitted. It has to be fitted by them so it remains a cat 2 insurance recognised system. They say that insurers wont let me install a system myself because its not approved.

The lady on the phone just said that i have to send proof that i have an immobiliser fitted by means of a reciept of purchase.

Any ideas on which route to take? Obviously i need to ring the insurer and find out what they would approve

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: immobiliser systems

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:53 pm

I think it's only Thatcham approved immobilisers that you can't fit yourself i.e. cat 1 and 2, these are the ones that also give the biggest saving on your insurance.

if they just require a cheap immobiliser and receipt of purchase then it doesnt need to be a Thatcham approved immobiliser so just any cheapo one will do.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Christoff
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Christoff » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:33 pm

So what if i bought some wire and relays and a switch and did it myself? Saving me money on buying a system but they might see it as a bodge

All the systems out there are for electric windows/ central locking/ anti hijack remote start full bag of b****cks

Can you get some kind of switch with a reciever that i could keep on a key fob to arm or disarm it?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:50 pm

Best thing to do would check with your insurance company? Perhaps they'll accept receipts of all the bits you bought to make your own imobiliser :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Highlander
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Highlander » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:57 pm

I think you need to find out the minimum requirement for the sort of system they want fitting.

They probably assume your car has an ECU and therefore can be electronically immobilised.

Might be worth explaining to them that your car doesn't have any ECU/electronics and that a steering lock would be a far better deterent.

anyone with a few lengths of wire can get a Samurai running in a couple of minutes :hahaha:

Christoff
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Christoff » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:33 pm

Yeah i dont think i would be telling them that.

I keep meaning to buy a steering lock but never got round to it. Its like £80/90 for the proper disclock

Highlander
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Highlander » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:40 pm

My deterent is to park it in the driveway and park another two cars in front of it.

i have the same problem with the old Sierra, they are so easy to steal :S

rgonzobull
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by rgonzobull » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:50 pm

Yeh it is a hassle holding onto your vehicle. Electric fuel pump with hidden switch and removing dizzy arm are a couple of simple things. Doesnt help with your insurance queery but might keep your vehicle on the drive longer
LJ80Q

Christoff
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Christoff » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:07 pm

Do they have an electric fuel pump anyway?

Mine was stolen last year off my drive. The only night i dont block it in with my dads merc :argh:

Wish i had left the keys in and left it unlocked at least i wouldnt have had to replace the locks and steering column

chrisj410
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by chrisj410 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:13 pm

You had a look at maplins? They do cheap alarms bud