challenge project

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
arreff77
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: challenge project

Post by arreff77 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:43 pm

Well i had a forced leave of absence, but the house now has 3 bedrooms, the pond is bigger and the pink screaming :doublethumbs: thing that has caused all the upset is growing away nicely so i have a little bit of time not too much though! The idea of coils is going down the road, the toyota set up just didn't give enough flex on a mates set up. So going to go down the route of yj's, less hassle than designing a complete coil set up, tried and tested so a bit of info out there.

some info that i could do with though (tbh i haven't actually looked that hard yet) has anyone seen a yj set up done as spua? all the ones i've seen so far are spoa and on 35's seem blinking tall.
i'm not lost, i'm finding new places.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:53 pm

My YJ setup is spua, have a look at my build matey :thumbup:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

arreff77
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by arreff77 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:33 am

ScottieJ wrote:My YJ setup is spua, have a look at my build matey :thumbup:

remembered that just after i posted(doh) looking good, gonna pinch the u bolt eliminator plate idea if you don't mind. i think i'll be ok as i've got no front or rear arches to go back to spua with yj's and the yota axles, i just don't want to end up too high. does the yj set up give any lift?

arreff77
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by arreff77 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:19 am

been looking for infomation on the use of toyota springs, as best as i can tell 44" hi lux rears seems to be the way to go, as a bonus the pin appears to be off set by about 2" which will help stetch the wheel base. going to need missing links front and rear, but i'll make the rears so that i can lock them.

arreff77
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by arreff77 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:41 pm

well after a bit of research the i've found that the yota springs are 47" long with an offset pin, about 6". So thats what i'm going to run in the back in the stock sammy mounts with extended shackles, how ever i don't want to run that much offset up front so the plan is to use the yota front springs, these are 44" with the pin centered so the same as yj's.

I have found some posts from the u.s. that the fronts didn't flex well although it was stated that these were lift springs. What concerns me is that these are only a four leaf pack so doesn't a lot of room to play with the spring pack, my thinking was to try and find a set of front springs from a petrol hi lux and hope that the petrol engine would be lighter than the diesel lump,making the spring pack lower poundage.

so the next week or so will be spent making saddles, plates and bits :salute:

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:10 pm

Hey there matey

I've seen a few Sammys on Pirate with yota springs fitted that flexed pretty darn well so I'm sure by playing with the packs you can get a set up that rides and flexes well. Apparently front yota leafs are pretty stiff so might be worth taking a leaf out and only running 3 leafs? :doublethumbs:

How wide are yota springs?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

arreff77
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by arreff77 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:07 pm

hi Scottie, the rears flex really well and the yanks use them on all 4 corners but they push the axle forward a lot and because of the length 47-48" they need the chassis rails extended, which is why i want to use the yota fronts 44" same as yj's, like you say playing with the spring pack should be able to get something reasonably flexy.

the yota springs are 60 mm wide

found some pics of missing links so will start making them whilst the search for the springs continues.

Scottie how good is the twin transfer box? i'm running the 1.6 8v, 4.16:1 low box and 4.88:1 diffs it's ok at the moment on 235/85/16 which are about 31 1/2 " but i'm going to be getting some 285/75/16 insa ST's

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:39 pm

ah cool so they aren't quite as wide as YJs either then.

So you'll be running 33sx11ish :thumbup: I think you'll be fine with the gearing you have to be fair, I first ran 33x12.50 tyres, the dual cases and a stock 410 Tbox so my lo-lo was about 4.56:1 and I was running 4.11 diffs so a reduction of about 18.74 :1

Yours in low will be lower with a 20.3:1 reduction :doublethumbs:

I only dropped to the rocklobster because I've swapped to sammy axles with the 3.7 diffs and on really steep decents I craved a bit more engine braking although it didn't really need it.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

arreff77
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by arreff77 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:30 am

ScottieJ wrote:Yours in low will be lower with a 20.3:1 reduction :doublethumbs:
Cool

Might have to look for some 35's instead then :D

arreff77
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by arreff77 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:40 pm

So after a lot of readind re-reading and a bit more reading i bought the hi lux rear springs, 48" long with a 6" off set pin, £160 delivered with all bushes i didn't think was too bad. As with the best plans this is where siplicity stopped. The bushes for the toyo springs are 18mm bore so an hour on the athe in work and some spacers to suit a 12mm bolt were made, also made a set of missing links for the RUF. so we went from this

to this.

now the keen eyed out there will have spotted that the rears have got missing links, well what i didn't notice whilst reserching the use of the yota springs was that the rear shackle mounts need moving. So at the moment the missing links for the front are stuck on the back, and the shackles i made to set it up on are at an appalling angle so much so that i've got no up travel at all.
Well i don't really want to move the mounts so i'll make another set of missing links for the rear to give me a better angle.

For those who might be interested the yota spring pack (well top 4 of the pack) has given approximately a 2" lift as they are sat at the moment which should be complimented by a 2" lift at the front. Oh and they're very flexy :brows: :lol: :D :D :D
standing next to the truck it's ****ing tall, too tall 24" under the sill, so we'll be going back to spua when the toyo axles are rebuilt.